[SOLVED] USB 3.1 Gen2 Slow on Asus TUF360B-M MB and Corsair 88 Case

Mar 18, 2019
I recently built a PC with an Asus TUF 360B-M MB. It has 8 GB G.Skill DDR 4 RAM, an I% 8400 Processor and a new Corsair 88 case (low end). I am using a Sandisk 3.0 stick to store copied data from a WD 3 TB 7200 rpm internal hdd. Upon transferring data from the WD I notice the transfer rate starts out at 50 MB/s but quickly drops to 15 MB/s and often down to 0 MB/s. I fact, my Dell OptiPlex transfers data at 35 MB/s on average. My Dell is much older than my new pc and I think the usb ports are 2.0. This is the opposite of what I expected.

I have updated every driver I can image, including the Intel MEI driver as well as usb drivers through the Asus and Windows sites. Why is this happening? Thanks for your time. James

Solution
Oh, no definitely not. A new motherboard/CPU/RAM combo should definitely improve. Your USB drive is the issue here, I'm pretty sure. I think if you had a Sandisk EXTREME Pro 3.1 USB drive, that you'd max out it's speed. Just because your USB 3.0 drive is 3.0, doesn't mean it's capable of reaching (and maintaining) the top writing speed. It's weird regardless that your old Dell gets higher speeds though.
Your USB drive is USB 3.0, which is now called USB 3.2 Gen 1.
Your motherboard supports 3.1 Gen 2 (which is now 3.2 Gen2, for clarity I guess).

Your USB drive simply isn't fast enough. That includes that even if it was USB 3.2 Gen 2, it probably won't be able to max out that speed. USB drives are notoriously show when writing data to them. Even when they're USB 3.0 or newer.

Alternatively, to be sure, you could install/update your Intel Chipset drivers.

Mar 18, 2019
Your USB drive is USB 3.0, which is now called USB 3.2 Gen 1.
Your motherboard supports 3.1 Gen 2 (which is now 3.2 Gen2, for clarity I guess).

Your USB drive simply isn't fast enough. That includes that even if it was USB 3.2 Gen 2, it probably won't be able to max out that speed. USB drives are notoriously show when writing data to them. Even when they're USB 3.0 or newer.

Alternatively, to be sure, you could install/update your Intel Chipset drivers.
Thanks for the quick response. I did update the Chipset. So, in reality, the expectation of faster transfer speeds by installing a new motherboard, which includes USB 3.X Gen x, faster and more ram and a new 8th generation cpu, really is unreasonable. I get faster speeds with an older Dell OptiPlex. Would a better quality and faster USB help much more, or is that hype too? James

Oh, no definitely not. A new motherboard/CPU/RAM combo should definitely improve. Your USB drive is the issue here, I'm pretty sure. I think if you had a Sandisk EXTREME Pro 3.1 USB drive, that you'd max out it's speed. Just because your USB 3.0 drive is 3.0, doesn't mean it's capable of reaching (and maintaining) the top writing speed. It's weird regardless that your old Dell gets higher speeds though.

Solution