USB 3.1 Tested: Performance On MSI's X99A Gaming 9 ACK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Delco

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
I remember when Thomas Pabst, founder of TomsHardware.com, called USB the "useless serial bus!" Man, was he wrong. Some guys have no vision!
Tom DelConte

jtd871

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Would it kill you to use consistent units for reporting results?! The 1st two charts on page 2 are MB/s while the third is time (seconds). I understand that it's easier to report the time for the file copy, but it wouldn't have been too difficult to calculate and report an approximate average transfer rate.

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
I think getting a faster usb3.1 port in the rear while having 3 sets of similar looking ports with different speeds is bound to cause confusion so unless you permanently have a fast device plugged into the fastest point Id say its a waste. Personally I use 1/2 usb 3 devices max and usually in the front which I regularly switch out so really quite useless in most cases.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
usb 3.1 will be a slow adaption. heck usb 2.0 still floods the market let alone usb 3.0. it's been what in the past year that we are finally starting to se usb 30 start to become the norm in devices now????

That's largely due to consumer realities. USB3 only makes sense when transferring massive data loads. What devices actually need to do that? Mass storage, and that's it. Now compare storage devices to the number of every other USB device available. Your keyboards and mice still operate at USB 1.1. Printers, scanners, and office peripherals are still on 2.0 ( some possibly still on 1.1, ) and they can't even saturate that pipe. USB network adapters work just fine at 2.0 speeds. And the vast majority of flash drives today are still used to save a few office documents, pictures, and other small files. Incredibly few people are hauling around Windows install ISOs or large drive images on their thumb drives.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I see that intel is still heavily investing in thunderbolt, which is prob why they aren't putting native usb 3.1 support on their chipsets for the next two generations reminds me of usb 3.0 all over again with intel.

Lakitu

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014

I was going to reply that I had found several on amazon, until I looked at the USB version. Surprisingly they're all USB 2.0... I guess the market and need isn't high enough to warrant making them USB 3.0?

Let's be honest, do you really need USB 3.0 speeds copying over 1.44 MB of data?

USB 3 cables:
There are now THREE different cables:

1) Same connection as USB2 but colored blue

2) USB3 connector changed on device side to prevent USB2 cables being used as some would cause problems for fast USB3 devices

3) USB3.1 changes connector yet again on device side, again to avoid slower rated cables (USB2 or USB3.0) from being used.

Other:
I noticed I got up to 140MB/second using a USB3 HDD in a USB3 connection and only 32MB/second if connecting to USB2. I thought it would max out the 60MB/second bandwidth so it appears the USB hard drive must have both USB2 and USB3 sata converter chips and it uses the much slower one when USB2 is detected.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
queue depth of 1, why test an SSD with such?
awesome bandwidth though. i reckon the upgrade is for keeping up with almost similar standards ( DP, MHL, and competing with WiFi) which could be used to drive higher resolution displays in the future

ccampy

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
There's not multiple types of cables USB 2.0 and 3.0 cables are identical they don't have to be blue to be 3.0 they are unchanged cables wise there's only the different type of conecters A B and the new universal C type

Joe Black

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
These mixed version mobos are annoying. I bought a board with mostly USB2, but 2x USB3 and its a great board - I still have it and it works just dandy, but it is annoying to hunt for the USB3 ports when I plug my portables in.

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
I tend to fill up all the 2.0s anyway with webcam, mouse and some other stuff so I can only plug into usb3 in the back.

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
I'm going to buy devices that use the Type-C connector over products using the older USB connector whenever possible. We need to get off older USB and micro/mini USB ASAP.

NehaM

Reputable
Mar 17, 2015
Here is a helpful technical comparison between the USB 3.1 vs USB 3.0 specs.
http://www.arrowdevices.com/blog/usb-31-vs-usb-30-technical-comparison/

Status
Not open for further replies.