USB 3 Drive not properly recognised Win 10

LeRennais

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015
I have 2 HP small tower PCs, one new, one updated from Win 7, purchased in 2012.

I have a 2TB 3.5" Western Digital drive in a USB3 enclosure. On both PCs it shows up as Innostor Ext HDD USB Device in device manager.

On the new PC, it works fine.

On the older one, the drives will show up after a delay of some minutes. Then, it locks up disk manager while trying to enumerate the drives, file explorer if you click on one of the drives, and System Mechanic when searching for driver updates. Device Manager shows the driver as "not migrated".

A smaller (500 Gig) USB3 drive works fine on both PCs

I have tried identifying and uninstalling the device drivers (after checking for device driver updates with it disconnected), to no avail. Both PCs show the same date/version No (21/06/2006 10.0.10586.0 ) for the Innostor device driver.

I am sure that the older PC does not believe a portable device can be that big! (i.e. >500 Gig)

Any ideas would be very welcome!

Solution
It actually sounds more like a problem with the USB physical ports or driver setup for USB three.

First examine each individual USB 3 port on the older computer for bent pins etc and also give us the PC specs type or model so I can see what the driver stack is supposed to be.

Mark RM

Admirable
It actually sounds more like a problem with the USB physical ports or driver setup for USB three.

First examine each individual USB 3 port on the older computer for bent pins etc and also give us the PC specs type or model so I can see what the driver stack is supposed to be.

Solution

LeRennais

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015
First examine each individual USB 3 port on the older computer for bent pins etc

Don't think it is that. I have 2 3.5" 2T drives in USB 3 enclosures, and 2 500 Gig drives ditto. All work correctly in the newer PC, only the small ones in the older PC. And that applied no matter which physical USB port I used - I swapped them around them all.

HOWEVER I just swapped the USB 3 cable from the "good" PC to the troublesome one. Drive showed up straight away!!! So, thanks very much for putting that into my mind.

But get this. I have plugged the "bad" cable into the "good" PC. Drive works fine.

Sigh! Ours not to reason why .........

Mark RM

Admirable
each computer has slightly different physical characteristics and some don't conform well to the correct voltage. I've had a lot of problems with cables that came with drives to the point I keep a supply on hand from Newegg.