USB adaptor problem

jarnie

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
I have a usb wifi dongle/adaptor (wifi 'n') and I have installed the utility (REALTEK USB Wireless LAN Utility) and driver using the CD which came with the device. I have also downloaded the Windows 7 64 bit driver from Realtek and installed it (in case the driver which came on the CD was old and not suitable). I have Windows 7 64 bit installed.
When I run the utility it recognises the usb adaptor BUT does not establish an 'association'.
When the utility starts up the 'general' tab displays-
Status Not Associated
Speed N/A
Type N/A
Signal Strength nil
Link Quality nil etc and no IP address
Could it be that the adaptor is faulty or is there something else (the instructions do not state) that needs to be set up?

Thanks
John

Solution
G
No, your modem having WiFi enabled would not affect installation of USB WiFi adapter.

Every USB WiFi adapter I have bought strictly tells you not to plug it in before installing the driver software.,
but of course I believe what you've told me.

I don't know what else to suggest other than try and exchange the adapter for another one , a quality one like Netgear, I never had any problems installing or using one of those.
G

Did you run the installation process properly? You do not plug the adapter in until the driver installer tells you to. Is that how you did it?

jarnie

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
No that is NOT how I "did it".
According to the installation manual which is on the CD containing the driver and utility -
2.1.1 Please insert the Wireless USB Adaptor into the USB port
2.1.2 Ignore if Windows asks....
2.1.3 Place the software program CD and allow to autostart and then install the software and driver .....

Anyway I decided to give your method "a go" firstly after uninstalling the software and driver.
After installation I inserted the Wireless USB device, Windows recognised it and displayed "installing driver" and then I restarted my PC.
That made no difference. I still get the same as mentioned above.

Could it be that the ADSL+2 modem attached to my PC (via ethernet cable) also has WiFi enabled?

G

No, your modem having WiFi enabled would not affect installation of USB WiFi adapter.

Every USB WiFi adapter I have bought strictly tells you not to plug it in before installing the driver software.,
but of course I believe what you've told me.

I don't know what else to suggest other than try and exchange the adapter for another one , a quality one like Netgear, I never had any problems installing or using one of those.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS