[SOLVED] USB audio out

Bongert

Reputable
Jul 30, 2020
I had some issue with a constant buzzing noise coming from my pc through the headphones. i remedied the issue with a couple of ground loop noise isolators but i was told that a simple dac could do the trick as well. I got one of those USB-C to 3.5mm with an internal DAC chip and because my pc doesnt have any USB-C i got an USB-A to USB-C adapter. problem is i dont get any audio. the pc doesnt even recognize an audio device being connected. looking online i couldnt find anything, the product page for the dac says that it should work though. i tried updating my drivers as well but as you can probably guess, it didnt help

Solution
I bought a new USB A to USB C adapter that according to its product page, user reviews and questions section supports audio devices.
The dongle DAC is also known to work on Windows 10 as shown in prior posts.
But no matter what USB port i try, 2.0 or 3.0, front or rear IO, it just doesnt work and I dont know why.
I'm very hesitant to buy a "proper" DAC for a lot of money before i know if a DAC would even solve my root issue in the first place.

Issue is probably that adapter. There are USB A sound cards not much more expensive than adapters. The one I linked is under $25.

How exactly are the headphones wired to the system? Using any splitters or adapters?
hmm this audio dac is for mobile phones?
71zts8-HvBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

What adapter exactly did you buy? Some are only for charging. For use on a computer I would just get a USB A not C dac, no need to mess with adapters https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XBZ38Z...aWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1

If you are OK with spending a more for a more flexible and better device, the FX-AUDIO DAC 6 is great for the money, can power most headphones, can connect external powered speakers to it as well and can work with consoles https://www.amazon.com/FX-Audio-Dig...tronics&sprefix=fx,electronics,70&sr=1-3&th=1

Bongert

Reputable
Jul 30, 2020
I bought a new USB A to USB C adapter that according to its product page, user reviews and questions section supports audio devices.
But no matter what USB port i try, 2.0 or 3.0, front or rear IO, it just doesnt work and I dont know why.
I'm very hesitant to buy a "proper" DAC for a lot of money before i know if a DAC would even solve my root issue in the first place.

Issue is probably that adapter. There are USB A sound cards not much more expensive than adapters. The one I linked is under $25.

How exactly are the headphones wired to the system? Using any splitters or adapters?

Solution

Bongert

Reputable
Jul 30, 2020

got the USB DAC you recommended and though it works, its not having any impact on the buzzing sadly. will have to live it i guess. maybe a new mobo or something idk, will see

Bongert

Reputable
Jul 30, 2020
Did you test the headphones on any other system? If changing to an external DAC did not help there may be something with the headphones, unless your power is really bad in the room or house.
the headphones are crystal clear on my phone at least. its a pair of shure SE215. if the power in the room can affect it then its probably that. i have like 2x8 power strips connected and fully loaded to one circuit in my room alone and i think that circuit handles another two rooms with a bunch of electronics in it.

the headphones are crystal clear on my phone at least. its a pair of shure SE215. if the power in the room can affect it then its probably that. i have like 2x8 power strips connected and fully loaded to one circuit in my room alone and i think that circuit handles another two rooms with a bunch of electronics in it.

Oh, those are IEMs, that would explain the noise you hear. IEMs are a lot more sensitive than headphones so any low level noise in the sound card will show up when nothing is playing. Can you hear the extra noise when there is audio going through? The phone audio is designed for IEMs, it pushes out a weaker signal and may be designed more to keep noise at a lower floor.

I know heave listened to many IEMs and most of them with most equipment has a back-ground hum or noise. From the power strip use you have that is also a good place to start to check on things. Move the computer to it's own plug somewhere else and see how things sound.