USB-C 3.1 to USB 3.0 Hub and Oculus Rift

Status
Not open for further replies.

A_Funguy

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
I recently picked up an Acer Predator Helios 300 gaming laptop and I would like to use it for showing off VR to friends and family without them having to come to my house. It's advertised as "VR Ready" by Acer, and as far as the specs are concerned it should do all right with most titles. The problem is that this laptop only has one USB 3.0, one USB-C 3.1, and two USB 2.0 ports.

I'm aware that USB 3.1 is supposed to be twice as fast as USB 3.0. My question is, if I get a USB hub that's USB-C 3.1 to USB-A 3.0 will the Oculus Rift see it as having two USB 3.0 ports (plus the standalone port for a total of 3), and will this setup have the full data transfer rate of two USB 3.0 ports? I would like to use this with 3 sensors, so the third sensor would use a USB 2.0 port.

I already have an Oculus Rift and it works great on my desktop. I just wanted some input on this before I purchase a USB hub to try it out. Are there any USB hubs that would potentially be better than others for this task?

Acer Predator Helios 300
i7 7700HQ
16GB DDR4
GTX 1060 6GB
USB 3.0 x1
USB-C 3.1 x1 (not thunderbolt, afaik)
USB 2.0 x2
HDMI

A_Funguy

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Using a cheap USB 3.1 hub from AmazonBasics worked flawlessly. GTX 1060 obviously won't max out all the settings on all games. Back sensor on USB 2, two front sensors on the hub, HMD on the USB 3.0 & HDMI. My only issues were dead batteries in my controllers. Hope this helps someone.

Jan 17, 2019
Perfect, I was looking for the exact same question/answer. The difference is that I have gtx 1050... I think it my work for some simpler games, no? by the compatibility tool my videocard is thick-, everything else is thick+

Status
Not open for further replies.