Question USB-C front port but no header on mobo and no room for PCIe card

Dec 9, 2022
Hi, I'm building my son a PC for Xmas and think I've messed up on part selection after feeling very smug about some shrewd purchases. Wondering if I have any recourse. The case I bought is a NZXT H510 flow which has 1 USB 3.2 type A port and 1 USB 3.2 type C port. The motherboard I bought is an ASUS Prime B550M-A WIFI II.
Here's where I messed up, I read that the motherboard had a USB 3.2 header so I thought that would provide for both the type C and type A ports but it's a gen 1 port that is only supporting the type A cable from front panel and the cable for type C (cable is type-E?) has no matching port on the mobo. oops.

I googled and found that you can get a PCIe card which has an internal port for the USB-C type E cable I need but the graphics card is covering both the spare PCIe 3.0 x16 slots on the mobo. Much regret buying a mATX board instead of ATX...

I have one spare USB 2.0 header that is accessible on the motherboard, 4 USB 3.2 gen 1 (5 Gbps) ports on the back and 2 USB 3.2 gen 2 (10 Gbps) ports on the back.

Is there anything I can realistically do to make the USB-C port on the front work as expected? I really, really don't want to have to buy another mobo given the cost and effort required to replace it.

D

Deleted member 2935556

Dec 9, 2022
you can get this adapter to convert the usb 2.0 to usb c
so it will work at USB 2.0 speed? Any option to make the USB 3.2 header support both front ports or install some sort of hub?

D

Deleted member 2935556

i believe it will work a little slower speed but can still do everything
i couldnt find a splitter so that would be the best solution