[SOLVED] USB-C Monitor connection issues

Dec 3, 2020
Hello everyone and hope all are well.

I'm currently trying to set up a second external monitor to my Newly built gaming PC and it may seem like a pretty basic issue but is it possible to connect a monitor from the PC USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 Type C on the back of a Tomahawk B450 motherboard to a DisplayPort on a monitor. I've read that the USB C can connect video and audio but when I connect the cable the monitor does not detect it. I've looked in display settings but cant seem to get it working. Have I missed something here?

The plan is to get the new Geforce 3060ti and then it wont be an issue as that has multiple DP out ports but they are currently out of stock and my older GPU I'm currently running only has a HDMI out (Which my monitor doesnt have). I'm currently using the DVI out of the back of the board to my main screen.

I really want a second screen so any help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Charlie

Solution
You can only have a video output from the motherboard display connectors if you have a Ryzen AMD CPU with an APU like the 3400G which has an integrated graphics in the CPU itself. That CPU gives video output to the motherboard display ports. Without a G AMD CPU that won't work. The 3700X does not have an integrated graphics in it. So you absolutely need a GPU in your system to get a video signal.
Dec 3, 2020
only when the usb c output video. most desktop don't, and you probably have ryzen and not apu. which mean no igpu at all

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, Yeah I have a Ryzen 7 37000x. could you please elaborate a little more and explain what you mean. So once I install the new graphics card (if they ever come back in stock!!) I can only have video and audio coming from either the GPU or the Motherboard, and not both?

I'd like 3, potentially 4 screens and I believe the NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 Ti has 3x DP Ports and 1x HDMI ports therefore am I correct in saying that I will need a monitor with a HDMI Input as my other three are DP only...or will I still be able to connect one of the potential 4 with the DVI on the board?

Once again thanks very much for the help

You can only have a video output from the motherboard display connectors if you have a Ryzen AMD CPU with an APU like the 3400G which has an integrated graphics in the CPU itself. That CPU gives video output to the motherboard display ports. Without a G AMD CPU that won't work. The 3700X does not have an integrated graphics in it. So you absolutely need a GPU in your system to get a video signal.

Solution