Question USB-C ports not working Asus Zenbook ux490ua

Apr 11, 2020
Hi guys,

I have problem with my usb-c ports which I'm trying to fix in last 3,4 days, but unsuccessfully, so if anyone can help, I would be really thankful.

I have Asus Zenbook Deluxe UX490UA which have 3 usb-c ports.
One port is on laptop left side and other 2 are on right side.

Port on the left side working fine, I can use it to power laptop or to connect some flash drive (through adapter), external SSD but cannot connect monitor through that port (I think I never could).

But the issue I have is that ports on right side stop working, whatever I connect to them, I don't have any respond.

I tried to clean dirty, to change some bios settings, reinstalled my system (Mint 19), put back some old kernel versions and nothing helps.
I even opened my laptop to see is there some physical damaged to ports, but I'm not expert in hardware, so to me everything looks fine.

Anyone have some ideas, how to fix this?

Thank in advance

Oct 15, 2020
Hi daka94,

I also have an Asus ux490ua with Debian 10.6 and Windows 10 (dual boot). My USB-C on the left side (non Thunderbolt) stopped working (an hour ago...) without any apparent reason when I was using the PC normally.
It is not recognized anymore, neither in Debian nor in Windows which points to a hardware malfunction.

Did you manage to fix your issue?
I will try to check the ports for physical damage, but I am afraid that my soldering skills are rather poor....
I suppose that "planned obsolescence" is trying to make me buy a new PC... not going to happen (and definetely not ASUS).