Question USB-C power port for data?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DLes

Reputable
Dec 2, 2019
I need to get a hub that connects to Thunderbolt/USB-C on my Mac. The hubs I see have USB-3 ports, an Ethernet port (which is all nice) and a "USB-C Power Port". My question is whether that USB-C power port is JUST for power, or can it be used as a regular USB-C port for data transfer? I would very much like the latter, because once I plug this thing into my computer USB-C port, I have one less USB-C port on my computer to use for other stuff. The latest iMacs have only two Thunderbolt/USB-C ports, so such ports are kind of precious.

DLes

Reputable
Dec 2, 2019
is your macbook able to provide 100watts on its usb-c port?

btw power delivery is is ability to charge your macbook, without it, power gets supplied by your macbook, no charging

Who cares? I don't want the port for charging. But if someone has a macbook that can provide 100W, and they need a charging port, then gee, they're welcome to borrow it.

May 16, 2023
I need to get a hub that connects to Thunderbolt/USB-C on my Mac. The hubs I see have USB-3 ports, an Ethernet port (which is all nice) and a "USB-C Power Port". My question is whether that USB-C power port is JUST for power, or can it be used as a regular USB-C port for data transfer? I would very much like the latter, because once I plug this thing into my computer USB-C port, I have one less USB-C port on my computer to use for other stuff. The latest iMacs have only two Thunderbolt/USB-C ports, so such ports are kind of precious.
Oftentimes, these "power ports" differentiate in regard to the computer's ability to charge an array of connected USB devices while completely shut down (though still plugged in and power button boot capable.) As much as I hate this answer, you need to check with the manufacturer's website. Find out specifically which USB connection points are viable for each of the following: data transfer, power transfer (Both one and two ways), and third party peripheral controls. As far as Thunderbolt is concerned, that is technically a separate application, not necessarily germane to all USB 3 \ C Port functionality. Generally speaking, It allows the cable to combine several functions such as power output and data transfer, etc... However, its limitations and requirements may vary per operating system and manufacturer. The faster data transfer rates and/or power transfer, the less combined functioning.

Another thing to avail yourself of on the computer manufacture's website is the PDF owner's manual and/or specifications listing, which you definitely need to download if you can (Or take some screenshots If necessary) and keep as a reference on your desktop. Thunderbolt is compatible with USB-C, but not always available. I'm sure there's a description in the computer's BIOS, as well as directions for activation, and any potential drawbacks you may incur; i.e. combination effects of utilizing certain peripherals like syncing your mobile with thunderbolt and overclocking activation at the same time.

My experience has been as such, and I sincerely hope for universal standards in all forms of interconnectivity to be expedited, regardless of manufacturer, brand or OS version.

Good Luck and God Bless!