[SOLVED] USB C through Adapter to send display to a USB C monitor, not power it.

Apr 25, 2021
My question is; If I buy a Display Port to USB C, can I use the USB C as the display cable?

I know that it doesn't have enough power to power on the monitor by itself, and I wasn't planning on doing that anyways, I was going to use an AC adapter to power it. I want to know if I can use it to send a display signal to my monitor, or if I will just have to stick with Display Port.

You might ask why, and that's because I have a monitor with a USB C port, and was wondering if I could use it as the main display cable.

I know that Virtual Link is dead, I just can't find any 'clear' information on the internet on whether I can still use USB C to send a display to my monitor.

I am also wondering, if USB C doesn't work, then how can I use Thunderbolt 3 as a display cable? I currently do not own a motherboard with Thunderbolt 3 on it, and plan on using a Discrete GPU to game, and I know that you in order for your computer to display anything with a Discrete GPU, you have to plug into the GPU, not the Motherboard. There aren't any GPU's with Thunderbolt 3 to my knowledge, so, how would I set that up? Would I plug it into the Motherboard if I were to get one that has a Thunderbolt 3 port? Or can I use an adapter?

Thank you.

Solution
If you use a bi-directional USB-C to DisplayPort cable, you can connect a DisplayPort output to a USB-C display. Standard USB-C to DisplayPort cables will only work from USB-C output to DisplayPort displays.

TRENDING THREADS