Question USB-C to HDMI converter without Integrated graphics on desktop PC

Sep 2, 2021
Greetings!

This is kind of a specific scenario and since at the time i can't afford to buy the adaptor to just try and risk having it not work i might as well ask and see if someone knows so thank you in advance for reading:

I have a motherboard with a usb 3.1 type c connector (asus prime b365m-a) and a f series intel processor which doesn't have integrated graphics (i7-9700kf, main reason to get this model is because F models run cooler than models with integrated graphics since i need to overclock somewhat heavily for production work) with a dedicated graphics card (AMD RX 570 4GB which i was going to replace but due to the current situation it is absolutely impossible) my question is if i hook up a usb-c to displayport or hdmi connector do i need to have integrated graphics since it comes from the motherboard and not directly from the graphics card? I've done some research but i haven't been able to find this specific information. If it won't work i'll just get a regular DP to HDMI adaptor for my graphics card but having one of those fancy usb type c adaptors would come in handy since they also come with an extra usb 3.1 connector which is definitely useful for my use case since i kind of have to keep a lot of stuff hooked up to my computer at the same time and a full usb hub would be overkill and i don't really have that much space to keep even more stuff on my desk.

Also my OS is Windows 10 Enterprise 21H1 and Linux Mint 20, i only really need it to work on Windows though.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
no it will not work. the outputs from the motherboard are fr integrated graphics.

you have a card installed and that is where you need to connect any monitors.

connecting to the mobo outputs will only give you "no signal" errors since there will be no signal coming from the mobo to the monitor.

Sep 2, 2021
Thank you! I suspected as much but since i couldn't find a decent information of how this works so i decided to ask around. Also i just realized this motherboard's usb-c might not support alt mode so i'll just get a regular DP-HDMI cable and use an otg usb-c cable i got with a mayflash controller adaptor.