Question USB C - USB 3.1/USB 3.2 for External SSD

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
I tried looking at a few blogs to see if I could clear up the data transfer speeds however as far as I'm aware USB C ports on computers are always gray thus there is really no way to tell if its a USB C 5Gbps or USB C 10Gbps. (Whilst I do know how to tell Thunderbolt 3 and 4 apart).
I am looking at external SSDs that could connect to my desktop however I'm wondering if I'd get a faster transfer speed (Mixed Read/Write) via my USB 3.2 ports or via a USB-C - USB 3.2 port (or even if it might be faster to go for a USB-C to USB-C cable).
Most of these external SSDs will be used solely for external game storage as my PC is starting to fill up and aside from buying SATAs and paying someone to install them I cannot upgrade my storage further.

I tried looking at a few blogs to see if I could clear up the data transfer speeds however as far as I'm aware USB C ports on computers are always gray thus there is really no way to tell if its a USB C 5Gbps or USB C 10Gbps. (Whilst I do know how to tell Thunderbolt 3 and 4 apart).
I am looking at external SSDs that could connect to my desktop however I'm wondering if I'd get a faster transfer speed (Mixed Read/Write) via my USB 3.2 ports or via a USB-C - USB 3.2 port (or even if it might be faster to go for a USB-C to USB-C cable).
Most of these external SSDs will be used solely for external game storage as my PC is starting to fill up and aside from buying SATAs and paying someone to install them I cannot upgrade my storage further.
You get the fastest speed from the ports marked USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 your motherboard manual will tell you which ones those are. If you have newer motherboard and case, the usb c port on the front of the case is often one of those.