USB cables giving problems with a Samsung External HDD

werner_eksteen

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2014
I recently was asked by a friend to see what is wrong with her external HDD. It is a HXD7 1TB Samsung hard drive that uses a USB Mini-b (5 pin) port. It doesn't require any external power source.

The problem is that the external only worked with one cable and it recently burnt out. Whenever she tried another cable with the same port it would not show up on her PC. I've tried it as well and I get the same results. What I realized though is that there is a significant difference in diameter of the cables. The original cable was a lot thicker and the new cable (that doesn't work) very thin. Since the original cable was broken I cut it open and found that there was three colored cables inside and also wires coiled around them. Now I logically think that the original cable draws more power from the PC and therefore it is able to work with the external. However I'm no expert.

So does anyone have a solution to the problem?
Also if someone could maybe explain why this happens?

Thank you for your time.

werner_eksteen

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2014

My friends dog might have chewed the cable as it was bent badly. I think that is why it shorted. The cable was still the only one that worked. Do some USB cables only transfer power and not data?

werner_eksteen

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2014

Thank you very much. This helps a lot. I didn't want to buy a new cable and there might be some other problem.
Thanks again.