USB card install success info

Success!!!!
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Tips.htm#probleminst
I changed four entries that had 'read only' for USB to 'full
permissions' and rebooted.

<snips>
>Present system: Epox 8K3A+
> Award 6.00PG 8/15/02 bios
> Microsoft XP home 5.1.2600, all updates incl SP1
> AMD 2.1+, DDR-SDRAM 2x256 PC2700
> Works great, very stable, USB 1.1 works ok.
>I am trying to install a PCI to 2.0 USB adapter, I tried 2 different
>manufacturers, Kouwell 2580N4 and Belkin F5U220. Neither will install,
>I get the windows 'cannot install' message whether I use the mfgrs
>drivers or not. Kouwell tried also, over the phone, but no help.
I upgraded the bios to the latest, 9-16-03, no help.
Anti-Spam: Change shellyfnospam to shellyf to respond. Thanx, y'all have a nice day!
Retired to Cyberspace from Green Valley, AZ.

Shelly F wrote:
> Success!!!!
> http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Tips.htm#probleminst
> I changed four entries that had 'read only' for USB to 'full
> permissions' and rebooted.
>
> <snips>
>
>>Present system: Epox 8K3A+
>> Award 6.00PG 8/15/02 bios
>> Microsoft XP home 5.1.2600, all updates incl SP1
>> AMD 2.1+, DDR-SDRAM 2x256 PC2700
>> Works great, very stable, USB 1.1 works ok.
>>I am trying to install a PCI to 2.0 USB adapter, I tried 2 different
>>manufacturers, Kouwell 2580N4 and Belkin F5U220. Neither will install,
>>I get the windows 'cannot install' message whether I use the mfgrs
>>drivers or not. Kouwell tried also, over the phone, but no help.
>
> I upgraded the bios to the latest, 9-16-03, no help.
> Anti-Spam: Change shellyfnospam to shellyf to respond. Thanx, y'all have a nice day!
> Retired to Cyberspace from Green Valley, AZ.
I installed a Belkin USB 2/Firewire card on a machine with WIN XP Home.

No problems. I have tested both USB 2 and Firewire with an external HD.

Does XP recognize the card for what it is?

Do not use the PCI slot next to the AGP slot. I have had funnies there.

Then go to MS Windows Update. Let it do a scan an see if any new
drivers appear.