[SOLVED] USB Confusion

Sep 9, 2019
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/z9fccq This is my build that I’m about to purchase. I recently went down the USB rabbit hole. The whole USB thing is very confusing to me so before I purchase I figured I would bite the bullet and ask. My MOBO has 2x2.0 USB and 2x3.2 Gen 1 connectors, my case has 2x3.0 and 1x3.1 Gen 2 Type C connectors. How will I connect this? Thanks in advance.

Solution
No. the 3.0 plug from the case plugs right into a 3.2 Gen 1 connector on your motherboard. When you eventually get an adapter it will plug into the other Gen 1 connector.

The 2.0 connectors are only 480Mbit so you would leave them unconnected unless you have some other internal low-speed device for them.

The USB Implementers Forum who are responsible for the stupid USB naming scheme should note that even the WiFi Alliance finally got with the program and renamed things to something sensible (Wifi 5, Wifi 6, Wifi 7, etc)
Don't use the one Gen 2 port for now. In the future you should be able to get a cheap adapter, but for now it's too new so adapters are only available to convert the other way:
519w6azEccL._SY355_.jpg

Note that an adapter won't run at 10Gbit+, or allow you to charge things at 100w like a real Gen 2 port may! But it would provide a usable Type C port at 5Gbit speeds, and the case has a wireless charging pad anyway.

Sep 9, 2019
Don't use the one Gen 2 port for now. In the future you should be able to get a cheap adapter, but for now it's too new so adapters are only available to convert the other way:
519w6azEccL._SY355_.jpg

Note that an adapter won't run at 10Gbit+, or allow you to charge things at 100w like a real Gen 2 port may! But it would provide a usable Type C port at 5Gbit speeds, and the case has a wireless charging pad anyway.
So just hook the 2.0 connectors on the MOBO to the 3.0 connectors on the case?

No. the 3.0 plug from the case plugs right into a 3.2 Gen 1 connector on your motherboard. When you eventually get an adapter it will plug into the other Gen 1 connector.

The 2.0 connectors are only 480Mbit so you would leave them unconnected unless you have some other internal low-speed device for them.

The USB Implementers Forum who are responsible for the stupid USB naming scheme should note that even the WiFi Alliance finally got with the program and renamed things to something sensible (Wifi 5, Wifi 6, Wifi 7, etc)

Solution
Sep 9, 2019

Great, thank you. One last question. There are 2 3.0 plugs on the case. Is It possible to use some kind of splitter or something so that I can use both USB ports?

The two 3.0 case ports share a single plug. So each motherboard connector actually does split into two ports.

The former USB 3.0 SuperSpeed was simply renamed to USB 3.1 Gen 1 and then later renamed again to USB 3.2 Gen 1. They are all exactly the same and interchangeable except the latter standards got rid of the optional type-B connector.

Sep 9, 2019
The two 3.0 case ports share a single plug. So each motherboard connector actually does split into two ports.

The former USB 3.0 SuperSpeed was simply renamed to USB 3.1 Gen 1 and then later renamed again to USB 3.2 Gen 1. They are all exactly the same and interchangeable except the latter standards got rid of the optional type-B connector.
That helps a great deal. Thanks

TRENDING THREADS