USB Controller

eb

I am setting up a Dell Power Edge 400SC,with WinXP Home, and have loaded
the Chipset driver, but I still show a yellow make for the 'Universal
Serial Bus (USB) Controller'. (I was unable to find any USB drivers on
the Dell site for this machine.)

The others displayed read:
Intel (R) 82801EB Universal Host Controller 24D2; 24D4; 24D7; & 24DE
and
4 items of USB Root Hub
All without any yellow marks.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

EB wrote:
> I am setting up a Dell Power Edge 400SC,with WinXP Home, and have loaded
> the Chipset driver, but I still show a yellow make for the 'Universal
> Serial Bus (USB) Controller'. (I was unable to find any USB drivers on
> the Dell site for this machine.)

I am having the same problem with my Dell 700m laptop.

I repartitioned my hard drive on a Dell 700m laptop and
reinstalled XP Pro Sp2 and the Dell driver set. Everything
works great, and faster, including the 2 USB 2.0 ports.

But, when I boot, WinXP Pro SP 2 keeps finding another USB Controller
(shown as "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller" in Other Devices
in Device Manager with a big yellow Question Mark.

I have 3 USB controllers and 3 USB root hubs with drivers installed and
ports working. They show up in DM under USB Devices. The USB ports work
just fine on the laptop.

But I have this one USB Controller, now listed among Other Devices in
Device Manager. XP Pro Sp2 will not find the correct driver. I have
uninstalled this device many times. Each time XP Pro finds it again, but
cannot find a driver. I have tried to let it find the driver
automatically. That Did not work. I have tried to select specific
folders both in C:\dell\drivers and on the Dell driver CD. No luck. No
matter where it looks, it cannot seem to find the right driver.

I uninstalled ALL the USB devices in Device manager and rebooted to
rediscover. The 3 god USB controllers and their USB roots all
loaded drivers just fine. but the rogue USB controller again shows
up with no driver.

eb

chuck wrote:
> EB wrote:
>
>> I am setting up a Dell Power Edge 400SC,with WinXP Home, and have
>> loaded the Chipset driver, but I still show a yellow make for the
>> 'Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller'. (I was unable to find any USB
>> drivers on the Dell site for this machine.)
>>
> I am having the same problem with my Dell 700m laptop.
>
> I repartitioned my hard drive on a Dell 700m laptop and
> reinstalled XP Pro Sp2 and the Dell driver set. Everything
> works great, and faster, including the 2 USB 2.0 ports.
>
> But, when I boot, WinXP Pro SP 2 keeps finding another USB Controller
> (shown as "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller" in Other Devices
> in Device Manager with a big yellow Question Mark.
>
> I have 3 USB controllers and 3 USB root hubs with drivers installed and
> ports working. They show up in DM under USB Devices. The USB ports work
> just fine on the laptop.
>
> But I have this one USB Controller, now listed among Other Devices in
> Device Manager. XP Pro Sp2 will not find the correct driver. I have
> uninstalled this device many times. Each time XP Pro finds it again, but
> cannot find a driver. I have tried to let it find the driver
> automatically. That Did not work. I have tried to select specific
> folders both in C:\dell\drivers and on the Dell driver CD. No luck. No
> matter where it looks, it cannot seem to find the right driver.
>
> I uninstalled ALL the USB devices in Device manager and rebooted to
> rediscover. The 3 god USB controllers and their USB roots all
> loaded drivers just fine. but the rogue USB controller again shows
> up with no driver.

I don't know if my problem is exacly the same as yours, but I finally
was able to clear it by letting Win XP provide the driver, and it
worked, no more yellow mark.
Hope you can clear your problem.

chuck <ccREMOVEiaffone@earthlinDELETEk.net> wrote:
>EB wrote:
>> I am setting up a Dell Power Edge 400SC,with WinXP Home, and have loaded
>> the Chipset driver, but I still show a yellow make for the 'Universal
>> Serial Bus (USB) Controller'. (I was unable to find any USB drivers on
>> the Dell site for this machine.)
>>
>I am having the same problem with my Dell 700m laptop.

Would the Intel chipset installer from the Intel site help any? Just
a shot in the dark, but can't hurt to try...

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

EB wrote:

> I don't know if my problem is exacly the same as yours, but I finally
> was able to clear it by letting Win XP provide the driver, and it
> worked, no more yellow mark.
> Hope you can clear your problem.

Just how did you let XP provide the driver???? Wod did yu do??