USB Detection (Input on Front of Tower) taking a long time to be detected.

shyam09

Honorable
Oct 22, 2014
I built a desktop around early-mid 2015. After updating to Windows 10 (upgraded first, clean installed next). On the front side of my desktop, I have two USB ports - 1 x USB 2.0, 1 x USB 3.0.

The problem is they take a while to detect USBs - be it phones, tablets, MP3 players, hard drives, etc. I can usually "speed up" the process by going into Device Manager and manually scanning, but both take 45-90 seconds, give or take.

I also face issues with the occasional disconnection and subsequent reconnection of external hard drives that I have attached either to a hub or directly to the back. It's not as annoying as the slow USB detection though.

The problem only exists on the front USB ports. The exception to this slowness is immediately upon reboot, which lasts until the next day (I leave my computer on overnight). I don't recall having this issue with Windows 8.1, but I can't say for sure.

Specs:
Intel i5-4690k
24 GB RAM
nVidia GTX 750Ti

Solution
In your case, if you have not already done so.

After doing a clean install of windows 10 as you state for the second time around on your system as the working os.
Find the brand of motherboard you have, and it`s model number.

And if you have not already done so make a point of downloading the chip set driver for your motherboard, and the usb drivers also found on the vendors website under the drivers and support section of there website.

And install them.

Although windows 10 is really good at detecting hardware devices as part of your system.
And also finding and installing drivers to get most of the hardware working.
You are always best on installing the drivers provided for the motherboard you have from the company that makes the...
In your case, if you have not already done so.

After doing a clean install of windows 10 as you state for the second time around on your system as the working os.
Find the brand of motherboard you have, and it`s model number.

And if you have not already done so make a point of downloading the chip set driver for your motherboard, and the usb drivers also found on the vendors website under the drivers and support section of there website.

And install them.

Although windows 10 is really good at detecting hardware devices as part of your system.
And also finding and installing drivers to get most of the hardware working.
You are always best on installing the drivers provided for the motherboard you have from the company that makes the motherboard you have.

If you do this, you will probably find the problem with the usb ports on your system will be resolved.
And anything connected to them will be detected after a second or two instead Shyam09 rather than having to wait up to 90 seconds or more ok.

Solution