USB device not recognized

Astralv

Distinguished
This is very frustrating issue. I use KVM switch to switch between 3 computers. My main computer Haswell 4770K 2013 with Asus Z87 deluxe had issue with 2 KVM switches made by the same company- it was not able to hold the keyboard/Mouse and would constantly say,
"The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it. Try to reconnect device. If Windows still does not recognize it, your device may not work properly."
I was blaming it on KVM Switches and the company who made them. The tech support recommended to try another USB ports, I tried, it did not help. So I went on to better KVM switch.

So now I have Emerson DP KVM switch. It is $700 switch, supposed to be good. I have it for over 6 months and I did not have any "USB device not recognized" messages. But the other day I reinstalled Windows on new SSD. I did not change any other hardware, the USB port still the same (It was pulled out half way and pushed back in), but now the issue is back.

Every time I reboot, there is a message "The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it." Luckily, the keyboard and mouth still work. (not like with other KVM- it was not working), but something is not getting recognized. I dont have anything else connected via USB. The first day I was hearing connect/disconnect sound as if something was going in and out. Why did it started again now? What can I do? Thank you.

the z77 znd z87 had power issue. make sure you have the newest bios on the mb and if your using the blue port make sure you have the newest asmedia usb driver for 3.0 ports. for the intel ports download the newest intel chipset and then the newest intel usb 3.0 drivers.

Astralv

Distinguished

This is my motherboard support and drivers page. I dont see any USB 3 drivers. I remember it used to be there but now it is not there. I will install Asmedia- I missed that one. https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z87DELUXE/HelpDesk_Download/

When I install Chipset, I can install first file, Intel Chipset V10.1.1.7 for Win10 32bit&64bit it installs, but the 2nd file from Chipset section, MEI_V11.0.0.1155_20150709_WHQL_1.5M says- Newer driver already installed, so I select "No" to question if I want to overwrite with older driver and installation aborts. Do I need to install older driver or does it means it is already installed some how? By Windows?

The BIOS is latest. Thank you.

Astralv

Distinguished

I dont know. I did not tern them off, so likely they are on? I still get occasional sound like something connects and disconnects. When I hear this sound, it does not give me message that Windows does not recognize USB.

Astralv

Distinguished
This morning, for example, I moved computer slightly and I heard "tam tam tam" disconnect sound, and keyboard/mouse- the only devices attached were still working. Then I connected the USB stick to USB 3 port on the front of the computer and got instantaneous message, ""The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it." But then USB stick was working. And now I just disconnected this same USB stick, heard normal "tam tam tam" disconnect sound and then the message appeared again. Is it some kind of shortage? The front ports are connected to motherboard by blue USB 3 cable, I also have USB2/SD card reader add on card. Something goes in and out, but the USB 2 on the card working too.

Astralv

Distinguished
I know what it is. It is the USB cable from the case to motherboard. It was not sitting tight, so I forced it in, and... When I connected my phone via USB cable, it was appearing and disappearing, so I had to replace USB cable for my phone and now the phone is connecting properly. So it was blue USB cable from the case AND phone cable. Also 2 different problems because I was not connecting the phone when the problem appeared first.