[SOLVED] Usb device over current detected

Dec 14, 2020
First time posting here, so 2 days ago I turned on freesync on my monitor and the screen went black.
I am going to be honest,when removing the DP and putting the HDMI I accidentally spilled some water on it. Nothing too crazy ,the motherboard, gpu and psu were fine, no signs of moisture.
I got to reset the monitor which disables freesync and things were back to normal, got to the windows screen but the pc shut down for some reason. From here, at first the pc wouldn't even turn on and then it started turning on and off in a 3 second interval. I removed the dust and the pc booted and got met with "USB device over current detected, the pc will shot down in 15 seconds"
What I did to fix this:
-Reset the CMOS battery
-tested every USB port, everyone worked fine, even the front ones
-Alt+F2 to the asus flash and updated the bios, even used an older version to test.
-Rebuilt the pc two times, once outside the case.
-Chechked for signs of damage, everything looks fine.
-Disconnected front Usb ports from the motherboard and tried booting the pc with no connections whatsovever. The same thing happened again, even though I coudln't see because my monitor was disconnected, in 15 seconds the pc shut down. I can provide photos and specs are FX 4300, asus M5A78L-M LX3, gtx 1050 ti, psu Atng 400fb 230w. I can provide pictures of the pc if you want. Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance.

Solution
A motherboard will try to protect itself from overcurrent in this way.
Generally disconnecting the front usb ports is the only way to fix it. However if the problem is with one of the "onboard" usb's, you can't do that.

You have done all the things I would have recommended already so there isn't much to say there.
There are only 2 things it could be.
  1. This is probably one of your usb's on the back that has gone. Unfortunately this will also brick your motherboard because you can't remove those.
  2. Your motherboard broke on itself.

The result is the same unfortunately.
If you have warrenty you should use it, but with an old motherboard like this I doubt it.
Sorry, you best bet is to buy a new one.

tris00

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Generally disconnecting the front usb ports is the only way to fix it. However if the problem is with one of the "onboard" usb's, you can't do that.

You have done all the things I would have recommended already so there isn't much to say there.
  1. This is probably one of your usb's on the back that has gone. Unfortunately this will also brick your motherboard because you can't remove those.

If you have warrenty you should use it, but with an old motherboard like this I doubt it.

Solution
Dec 14, 2020

The first one can't be it, there are no signs of damage inside the onboard usb's and I've tried everyone of them with my usb which contained the BIOS update and each recognized it and showed no problem.
You could be right on the second one, the motherboard is fairly old and the pc has been used for awhile so it might have gave up. Although I did manage to go to the BIOS setup once or twice yesterday so that could indicate that it's fine, maybe?

Dec 14, 2020

Thank you for taking your time to reply though, it's a shame that this thing gave up at the current situation with stock and prices. Your doubts are unfortunately true, never had any warranty on it since the day I bought it. I might try to fix it for the next couple of days as I just feel like I have forgot something I could do, but your guesses could be right too. My best bet might be upgrading this thing.