Question Usb device over current status detected (system will shut down in 15 seconds)

MatteoCaporale

Commendable
Mar 11, 2020
Hello, it's driving me crazi, I just changed the most components of my pc and it worked fine.
After a few days started giving the error: usb device detected over current status.
I have already disconnected all ports and also all cable related to USB 1/2/3 from the motherboard but it still happens, and it's trange because sometimes it starts and I can go on desktop but the majority of times it doesn't.
I don't think the MB is broken because as I said it works sometimes and nothing is burning inside the pc.
HELP

MatteoCaporale

Commendable
Mar 11, 2020
What is your pc setup and what bios are you at?
MB: Asus b560 plus
Cpu: i5 10400f
Gpu: MSI rtx 3060 Ventus 2x oc
Psu: seasonic gx 550 80+ gold
Cooler: Thermaltake water 3 performance 120mm
1 ssd 1tb
1 hdd 1tb
1 ssd mvme 250gb
2x4 gb ram hyperx (I'm waiting for a new pair to arrive, 2x8gb ballisticx)

I did a bios update via USB: version 1410

MatteoCaporale

Commendable
Mar 11, 2020
While you are in device manager go down to universal serial bus controllers click on it and check to see if any of them need driver updating.
I can't check device manager now because it doesn't work anymore at the moment, but when it worked it didn't seem there was any error or problem

EDIT: I managed to start the pc and on device manager, nothing needs updates but...
IS THIS NORMAL?
https://ibb.co/f16SfYJ
EDIT 2: referring to the image above, it's not normal and I had to install some drivers but they were related to the CPU if I'm not mistaken, can they be the cause of the USB device over current status error???? I don't know if the problem is gone!

Is there a way I can check if all USB ports are fine? like with software or something?

Last edited:

Mr.Tibbs

Commendable
Oct 22, 2021
I agree, it is what ever USB dongle you have inserted and nothing else.
I had an expensive keyboard & mouse with a USB dongle that shorted out somehow and had to throw it away and attempt to get another paired USB dongle.
I have it still and did not throw it away yet, but only the mouse was able to be paired with a Ligitech pairing program I downloaded from Logitech.

It took me a while to translate Italian, but the errors are all over the place, pci errors, usb errors, monitor refresh rate errors. I think your motherboard is dying. Do this, remove the gpu and plug the monitor in to the motherboard to use the cpu graphics. See if it works or if anything changes.

Sep 19, 2022
I have the same issues and i tried all possible I can do to fix the issue but i think in my case the cause here is when i replaced my dead 600w psu (idk if this is truerated) to a new 450w (truerated) YGT PSU, because that time when it replaced, a day after when i started my pc and that is when I got the error.

Mr.Tibbs

Commendable
Oct 22, 2021
The USB dongle inserted into the USB slot is shorting out and drawing too much current.

You lost your mouse or keyboard or mouse & keyboard dongle.

They occasionally fail and draw too much current. The computer senses the excessive current draw.

If you continue, you will hear a POP and your dongle will be completely burnt out.

Try another dongle with another keyboard & mouse. When that works you know that it is only the dongle.