Question USB device over current status

gowthamrj

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2012
Hi,
I was continuously receiving an error for power surge on one of the usb port in my windows 10 pc.....I googled the term and followed few instructions.....I unplugged all my usb devices and plugged them one by one to find out the faulty usb but couldn't do so and error populates every time....
I even tried disconnecting the front USB cables from the motherboard and tired but still the issue persists....I uninstalled the usb drivers from the device manager.....ever since I'm receiving a message while booting the pc "USB device over current status system will shutdown after 15 seconds" ....I did checked the usb ports too and everything looks good without any damage....can someone please help me to sort this out..

Thanks in advance!

Its a three year old pc.
Mobo: Asus Prime B350-plus 7th gen amd an4
Cpu: AMD Ryzen 5 1500x 3.5ghz
PSU : Antec VP series 500W
Keyboard n mouse: Logitech Cordless Desktop Pro 240

David_710

Reputable
May 2, 2017
Hi,
I was continuously receiving an error for power surge on one of the usb port in my windows 10 pc.....I googled the term and followed few instructions.....I unplugged all my usb devices and plugged them one by one to find out the faulty usb but couldn't do so and error populates every time....
I even tried disconnecting the front USB cables from the motherboard and tired but still the issue persists....I uninstalled the usb drivers from the device manager.....ever since I'm receiving a message while booting the pc "USB device over current status system will shutdown after 15 seconds" ....I did checked the usb ports too and everything looks good without any damage....can someone please help me to sort this out..

Thanks in advance!

Its a three year old pc.
Mobo: Asus Prime B350-plus 7th gen amd an4
Cpu: AMD Ryzen 5 1500x 3.5ghz
PSU : Antec VP series 500W
Keyboard n mouse: Logitech Cordless Desktop Pro 240
Hi I was wondering if you managed to sort out this issue as I have similar, having built up from scratch was working fine in original case, transferred over to another case, and message stated coming up, have even tried going back to original case, all subs are disconnected. thanks

Jul 5, 2020
Hi,
I'm still facing this issue, not able to use my PC for almost two months now:confused_old:.

It is very likely that you have a fried/damaged TVS (ESD protection) diode on the USB VBUS line. USB ports usually have TVS (Transient voltage suppressor) devices on all data and VBUS wires. Mainboards usually have some means to detect if the VBUS voltage is up (if overcurrent occurs, the VBUS will be down).
In most cases the port power delivery is protected by "resettable fuse", or "polyfuse". So the "overcurrent" message will appear if the polyfuse failed to self reset. You need to determine if the overcurrent is real (broken TVS), or fake (broken polyfuse). One way to determine it is to measure the power consumption of your system when it is in standby mode (not powered up, but connected to AC mains), using some power meter like Kill-A-Watt. If the standby power is above 2W, then there is some partial physical short (because if there is a real short on VBUS, this will short +5VSB standby rail, and computer will die completely). I have a motherboard Z97S SLI with that same problem.

Reactions: gowthamrj

gowthamrj

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2012
It is very likely that you have a fried/damaged TVS (ESD protection) diode on the USB VBUS line. USB ports usually have TVS (Transient voltage suppressor) devices on all data and VBUS wires. Mainboards usually have some means to detect if the VBUS voltage is up (if overcurrent occurs, the VBUS will be down).
In most cases the port power delivery is protected by "resettable fuse", or "polyfuse". So the "overcurrent" message will appear if the polyfuse failed to self reset. You need to determine if the overcurrent is real (broken TVS), or fake (broken polyfuse). One way to determine it is to measure the power consumption of your system when it is in standby mode (not powered up, but connected to AC mains), using some power meter like Kill-A-Watt. If the standby power is above 2W, then there is some partial physical short (because if there is a real short on VBUS, this will short +5VSB standby rail, and computer will die completely). I have a motherboard Z97S SLI with that same problem.

Is there a way to repair it on my own or do i need to take it to the ASUS service centre ?