[SOLVED] USB Device Overcurrent Status Detected - Troubleshooting

FriedSalmon_

Honorable
May 10, 2016
Hello.

I have been experiencing this error for a while now. I have searched for articles and forum posts (most notably this one helped), and found some potential causes. I disconnected my front USB ports so I know for sure they are not the issue. That leaves the rear USB ports and my USB devices. The rear USBs do not appear to be damaged to me. Additionally, a few more aspects of the error occurring have left me puzzled.

A) All the same USB devices worked while all plugged into this same computer before and after the error first occurred.
B) The error only occurs if I unplug a USB device or turn off the power supply and turn it on again.
C) The error goes away if I spend an hour plus plugging and unplugging the USB devices.

A leads me to believe the problem cannot be my devices. At the same time, C leads me to believe that my rear USB ports are fine. One more thing of note, I have 4 USB devices plugged in (keyboard, mouse, microphone, Xbox controller). The main trigger seems to be when I plug in the mouse last (I have tried multiple mice in every USB port) although I could be misremembering.

Has anyone experienced something similar to this? Any suggestions on how to resolve it? It's quite annoying dealing with it when it does pop up. Thank you for your help.

Solution
  1. Try to use other USB header, if your MB has more than one.
  2. May try to update the BIOS, if the MB does not have newer version. But keep in mind, to update the BIOS may or may not brick your MB, if you don't do it right.
  2. May try to update the BIOS, if the MB does not have newer version. But keep in mind, to update the BIOS may or may not brick your MB, if you don't do it right.

Solution

FriedSalmon_

Honorable
May 10, 2016
I switched front USB headers and then turned it back on with my fingers crossed and everything worked as normal. Confused as to how this solved the issue, as I had it completely unplugged prior (one of the suggested solutions). But as long as it works its fine by me. Thanks!