I have a USB 256MB flash drive. It works fine in an old Win98SE
system. It works fine in the backplane connectors on my new ASUS
P4P800E Deluxe WinXP system (Win XP Pro SP2). But if I insert it in
either of the front connectors in the case I get the following error
balloon:

USB device not recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this
computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.

Clicking on the balloon calls up a table with the correct port
identified, and the above message repeated along with the advice:

Try reconnecting the device. If Windows still does not recognize it,
replace the device.

Now, I'm not about to replace the device - it works fine. And if
there is a fault in the port it's a very subtle one, because my
digital camera is recognized on the same port & I can download images
with no problems. Any suggestions? It's a pest to pull the computer
out to access the back ports whenever I want to use the USB drive.
Dave Gillingham

The front ports may not be correctly set up. This is a common problem. In
some cases, the connectors are not attached and in others the jumpers are
not correctly set.

"Dave Gillingham" <dewg@private.optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>I have a USB 256MB flash drive. It works fine in an old Win98SE
> system. It works fine in the backplane connectors on my new ASUS
> P4P800E Deluxe WinXP system (Win XP Pro SP2). But if I insert it in
> either of the front connectors in the case I get the following error
> balloon:
>
> USB device not recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this
> computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.
>
> Clicking on the balloon calls up a table with the correct port
> identified, and the above message repeated along with the advice:
>
> Try reconnecting the device. If Windows still does not recognize it,
> replace the device.
>
> Now, I'm not about to replace the device - it works fine. And if
> there is a fault in the port it's a very subtle one, because my
> digital camera is recognized on the same port & I can download images
> with no problems. Any suggestions? It's a pest to pull the computer
> out to access the back ports whenever I want to use the USB drive.
> Dave Gillingham
> To email me remove the .private from my email address.

But I can download fine from my digital camera, using the same front
usb port! That's why I'm so frustrated.

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:16:44 -0700, "Colin Barnhorst"
<colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote:

>The front ports may not be correctly set up. This is a common problem. In
>some cases, the connectors are not attached and in others the jumpers are
>not correctly set.

Dave Gillingham

Dave,
It might be that the front USB ports do not provide enough power to run your
flash drive. The reason that your digital camera works, because it is
providing the additional power needed, either with the internal batteries,
or external power adapter. Some PC's front USB ports will not support USB
printers, scanners, external hard drives, and must be connected to the rear
USB ports.

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

But I can download fine from my digital camera, using the same front
usb port! That's why I'm so frustrated.

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:16:44 -0700, "Colin Barnhorst"
<colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote:

>The front ports may not be correctly set up. This is a common problem. In
>some cases, the connectors are not attached and in others the jumpers are
>not correctly set.

Dave Gillingham

As I said check the connections. Perhaps power was never connected.