USB deviced malfunctioning -- but none plugged in

xen111

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016
I am a bit desperate here.

For no reason that I know recently my computer (Windows 10) (fresh install as well) started malfunctioning with regards to the motherboard's usb controller.

Very regularly a Windows 10 notification will pop up with the audible sound of it that some USB Device that I last connected ... the device descriptor could not be read.

But right now... it's a bit hard to troubleshoot as the keyboard and mouse also usb, I mean the usb keyboard and mouse are plugged in.

But there is virtually nothing connected. These devices work fine. There is nothing else connected. There is nothing connected to the usb sockets on the motherboard either.

Anyone ever have this experience?

It's driving me nuts because not only does it give the popup, it also gives the sound, and disabling the device in Device Manager doesn't do anything. This happened (started happening) (all of a sudden) on both the older Windows 10 install I had and a fresh new one I have.

So it seem to be hardware related which is why I am posting this here. I can think of no other thing. Is my mainboard defunct now?

Solution
You won't believe this one.

I am embarrased already.

This motherboard was lying out of case.

A black thumb screw from the case had gone missing.

I couldn't find it.

It had ended up beneat the motherboard and was causing the issues.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
What maikutech said. Do that first and also any USB specific drivers you see in the list. If you have USB 3.0 ports those especially seem to need drivers.
If this is a desktop, you will usually have USB ports on the front of the computer that are actually attached to a USB header connection on the motherboard. If something has gone wrong with any part of that it can do what you are describing too.

xen111

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016
This motherboard has never had this issue before. It's been running since give or take october of 2015. Unless it has been caused by a recent Windows update, which of course could be possible -- you never know, the pricks -- there is just not going to be an isssue with out of date or missing drivers.

My question was whether any of you had this happen to a mobo before, please.

There are no usb ports attached to the headers, like I said.

There are no other USB devices plugged in, like I said. Whether I move the keyboard/mouse from the USB2 ports to the USB3 ports or not, does not matter. The devices also function as normal, so it can't be it.

So either it happened through a recent Windows update that was on both the old and the new system, which of course is very well possible, there can be no other explanation than hardware.

@maikutech no I have not. It has never been necessary before. Considering that maybe Microsoft changed something it could be necessary now. But the issue seems to be caused by "ghost" usb devices that don't even exist.

Thank you, I will check out the mobo drivers first.

xen111

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016
Installing the USB3 drivers did not help. There were no other drivers available. Also the drivers were probably alread included in Windows 10, seeing as that they were from 2013. It is a Asus M5A78L-M/usb3 mobo. That's all I can say. There are no other drivers.

The question is whether this can or is going to be hardware or not. It started happening in the last week or so. There was no such incidence before that date.

Basically installing drivers is just not relevant here, I think. I think you could take that from me, after all.

edit it is a bit hard to troubleshoot "not having a keyboard" in this sense. *Maybe* the keyboard started secretly malfunctioning, I do not know.

The path for the malfunctioning USB device is listed as "Port_#0003.Hub_#0001". (There is no hub attached).

The error is the typical "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

A request for the USB device descriptor failed."

The annoying thing is that uninstalling doesn't help, and disabling doesn't help. But I'll have to see how many of these errors will pop up now. They don't pop up constantly, and sometimes they do.

You have that motherboard that I use to have back in 2012, its nothing but problems.
I think you are having irq conflicts on the motherboard and it might have something to do with the bios chip installed on it now.
Give asus technical support a call in the morning, be calm and explain the problem to the technician.
You're warrenty maybe out of service and they may refuse to help you, unless you do payed support.
If they can't fix it your best bet right now is to look into a new motherboard.
I recommend this motherboard for you, I would go for msi but their selection for am3+ is very iffy the last couple of years.
https://www.amazon.com/ASRock-Motherboard-DDR3-2400-970A-G/dp/B01AIZXZHQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1485297083&sr=8-7&keywords=am3%2B+motherboard

xen111

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016
Dude I've never had a problem with this motherboard. There are no IRQ conflicts and the BIOS chip is okay, unless I ruined it with static electricity myself, which I think is pretty much impossible, but I have been touching the thing now and then.

Strange thing is after I turned this keyboard off and on a gain, it has an on-off switch, I have not had any errors since, but this is not proof that they won't come, I just haven't had any for half an hour or so.

In that case, pardon any arrogance on my part, but it may simply be the keyboard. The keyboard has probably a built-in hub. Because it also has mouse.

But the keyboard functions and the mouse pad also functions.

And functioned before.

Maybe it was just that lol, I don't know.

Like I said, there is no need to go all wild with solutions here...

I was basically just asking if it could be a hardware fault or something else, but saying "the motherboard is rotten anyway" doesn't help much.

I have never had issues with this thing so it doesn't just become a bad motherboard all of a sudden in general terms, or by definition, you know. Not sure how to say.

Like I said, and pardon any insolence on my part here, but the only thing I was not capable of testing yet was my keyboard.

It is peculiar that I haven't had a message for such a long time now.

xen111

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016
I have had the popup one more time.

So apparently it isn't solved. Note that there isn't anything actually not working. Everything in the system works. Windows just gives error messages about something not working.

There is nothing and I repeat nothing actually failing.

If I could turn off the popups life would be bliss :p.

But that's not what it is about.

I am just wondering if it is possible for hardware to suddenly give errors like that.

That was the question: whether anyone has ever experienced anything like that from a motherboard. See, that would also help locate the source of the issue.

Randomly exchanging motherboards is not something I can do etc.

And if it is the .... You know, even if I may want to at some point, I can't just do it for *this reason* *straight away*.

But if it is actually the keyboard (from Logitech, K830) which has at least 2 USB devices on board....

....but which functions just fine....

well the only way to find out is to use a different keyboard for a day but my computer is a bit remote and I don't know... I don't have a good wireless replacement just yet. I could only try to hunt down a USB extension cord so I can use a different keyboard, but I don't really want to at this point.

Thank you for your kind words though. Perhaps some others would have said "Find your own solution then" by now ;-).

The annoying thing is that even if I disable the device, it will still do the "state change" thingies.

I might just wait for the errors to start happening en masse again and then attach a smaller unusable keyboard for a little while to see if anything changes. I have a small Rapoo device that works but is not actually very usable for typing. If that would fix it it would be the K830.

xen111

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016
You won't believe this one.

I am embarrased already.

This motherboard was lying out of case.

A black thumb screw from the case had gone missing.

I couldn't find it.

It had ended up beneat the motherboard and was causing the issues.

Solution