Question USB Devices disconnecting randomly, and might be underpowered delivery. Same PSU working fine in other System. Not software related.

ZsoltDZ

Honorable
Apr 13, 2017
Hi, so I have a setup where I use an MSI B550M-A PRO with r7 3800x, with 16gb of ram, rx560. Don't question the combination that much since it came for free as donation so I could do University stuff. Right now am having issues where USB devices randomly don't work, disconnect, reconnect or don't work at all. Almost all USB 2.0 ports barely work while the 3.1 ports work better but not the best, but at least work.

My headphones for example that is USB based. HyperX cloud alpha S doesn't work anymore with the motherboard, on connection you can just hear a faint noise on plug in and that's it. Last time it had weird corrupt noises and the light of it was flashing and low even when working, but I tested the headphones and other peripherals in an other system (I don't remember the motherboards mode, some MSI from 2019) It works perfectly without the flashing light etc and all other peripherals work fine with the same PSU and same Graphics Card, and it's not software related.

This issue persists in UEFI(bios) and at any stage the motherboard is turned on and am not 100% sure what to do anymore with it. Is it fixable? Is it the motherboards fault? The same PSU worked fine a 2-3 months ago with this motherboard. I have checked the PSU output and it's outputting the correct values. Important: Since the motherboard was new my first clean of it was when the issue started being relevant and I noticed a substance connecting 2 of the pins on the USB header that are not supposed to be connected and the pins around that substance and on the substance had corrosion, so from this I was suspicious of the motherboard maybe having the fault.

What am asking for if you the reader have an idea of what is going on and if I can get away with something without having to purchase a new component. Lucky my headphone wire is detachable so I just connected it the old fashion Analog way. So in summary, the issue persists outside the software, the PSU works in an other recent motherboard with the same Graphics Card, the motherboard had corrosion on it's USB header pin that should not connect. If anyone could help me I would appreciate it a lot. If not still have a nice day either way!

When you say it is not software related, do you mean the you opened the Device Manager and went through every single usb related device and checked the Power Management tab and the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device" is UNchecked? And you also opened the Control Panel Power Options and made sure everything is set to Maximum Always On? As a last resort you could probably obtain an inexpensive add-on card to install if you have a free slot in your motherboard which would add extra usb ports.

ZsoltDZ

Honorable
Apr 13, 2017
When you say it is not software related, do you mean the you opened the Device Manager and went through every single usb related device and checked the Power Management tab and the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device" is UNchecked? And you also opened the Control Panel Power Options and made sure everything is set to Maximum Always On? As a last resort you could probably obtain an inexpensive add-on card to install if you have a free slot in your motherboard which would add extra usb ports.
I said this issue is in boot and in bios outside of windows. I saw this copy pasted answer. I said it in the post that this issue is present without windows, could also mention that it happens in any and in boot, bios.

D

Deleted member 14196

Yeah maybe use some punctuation next time and split things up into sentences and paragraph so that it’s easily readable because I’ll tell you I’m not reading a word wall

if you can’t be arsed to write in a readable fashion then we can’t be arsed to read it

ZsoltDZ

Honorable
Apr 13, 2017
Okay let's shorten it.
USB is underdelivering power most likely.
Is there a possibility of repairing it/finding the power modulation chip or whichever part is responsible of the low power delivery?