Question Usb devices dont work after BSOD

Makonn

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016
Hello

I ran into BSOD a couple of days ago and after that, none of my usb devices are not recognized.

Usb ports still give out power so I am thinking that the drivers are failing.

But now after i tried the mouse and keyboard on my Work computer, and the usb ports stopped working on that computer too im not so sure about anything anymore. Is this supposed to be a coincidence?

I have tried reseting bios with battery removal and short circuiting the pins on the motherboard with no help. Now im stuck in screen where im supposed to run bios setup by pressing F1.

How bad can the BSOD mess up my computer? Are the drivers failing, are the ports failing or did the BSOD mess up my devices to a state where they mess up every port they are attached to? Or is my mobo failing?

Im not sure what are the possible scenarios are in a situation like this.

Any ideas what might be the problem and how to solve the issue? My next step is to try PS2 keyboard / mouse and see what happens.

Im running Windows 10 on a ASUS Z170-A. those might be the components that matter.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
bios doesn't use windows drivers, so if USB isn't working in bios, its something else. Trying other kb/mouse as suggested might be all it takes.

if something broke in one of the USB devices, it could have caused the bsod - I have never heard of USB devices that can break USB slots, but weirder things have happened.

What are rest of specs of PC?

Makonn

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016
Tried another keyboard, first in my personal desktop. No luck there, its not recognized. After that in my Work computer. Same thing.

Yea one of the devices might be faulty, i agree. But atleast they didnt cause BSOD in my Work computer, at least for time being. They just messed up the usb ports if it wasnt coincidence that this happened. But the weird thing is that none of the ports Work anymore. All of them stopped working. Even the ones that had nothing in them.

Yea never heard that the usb ports could get this messed up, or that the port or BSOD could actually breake devices

Im suspecting that the new M2 ssd i installed is what coused the BSOD. I had couple of them after installed it. Could be also the fact that i did some bios changes. It could also be that my Windows is really old and running out of space in my 120gb ssd. Thats Why i bought the new one. Windows had trouble finding the New ssd so i postponed installing New Windows on it. I still havent tried taking the m2 ssd out of the case but I dont see the logic behind it affecting the usb ports. Should maybe give it a try though.

Full specs:

Asus Z170-A
Intel i5-6600k
Gigabyte g1 1070
Evga G2 750w
2x8 gb hyperX 2133 ram
WD blue 1000gb
Kingston 120gb ssd
Samsung 500gb m2 ssd

Did you disable/enable any of these settings?

usb2.jpg

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master

Makonn

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016
Usbs in my Work dock dont work either when the laptop is attached. My Work computers device manager gave error 10 in ''usb 3.0 blaa blaa'' and after i uninstalled it and looked for changes the device manager gives error 10 for ''USB xHCI compliant host controller''. Nothing changes when updating or uninstalling that one.

IT support at my Work place told me that it might be a faulty mouse or keyboard which broke the controller.

Any suggestions how to proceed? Is there a way to know for sure if something is actually broken or if the controller can recover somehow? If somethings broken, is the only thing left to do to buy New keyboard, mouse and a mobo?