USB devices freeze computer

PotRoast55

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
I have seen similar threads, but I haven't gotten a foolproof solution.

This is my first home build:
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
2 GB DDR2 1066 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4870

When I plug any USB device into the rear or case ports (except mouse and keyboard) while in Windows my computer will freeze. If I have the device plugged in before booting, it will crash just before getting to Windows. I have had this happen with both an iPod Touch and a USB wireless n adapter. It occurs in both Windows XP and Windows 7 RC.

I've tested the RAM, HDD, and CPU, and they are all error-free.

I am thinking the motherboard is the culprit, but I want to make sure before I buy a replacement. If anyone has any helpful information towards solving my problem, please post it. If anyone can confirm that the motherboard is the problem, then reply so I can get a replacement sooner.

Solution
GB's have, in general, some problems with particular USB devices; at worst, they will cause inescapable boot-looping - only cure is simply to not use 'em... Curiously enough, I have recently discovered that this appears to be a chipset implementation problem; I did a couple Intel G's for some people (specifically a G31 and a G41) and they were completely immune - devices that I know won't work on an X48 or P45 went through boots just fine! That said, I doubt you've managed to find two such devices simultaneously - and if any iPod were a problem, I'm sure I'd have heard about it here by now - the whining would be endless!

I can suggest a couple things to try -

Go into the BIOS and, on the "Integrated Peripherals"...

bilbat

Splendid
GB's have, in general, some problems with particular USB devices; at worst, they will cause inescapable boot-looping - only cure is simply to not use 'em... Curiously enough, I have recently discovered that this appears to be a chipset implementation problem; I did a couple Intel G's for some people (specifically a G31 and a G41) and they were completely immune - devices that I know won't work on an X48 or P45 went through boots just fine! That said, I doubt you've managed to find two such devices simultaneously - and if any iPod were a problem, I'm sure I'd have heard about it here by now - the whining would be endless!

I can suggest a couple things to try -

Go into the BIOS and, on the "Integrated Peripherals" page, your manual shows "Legacy USB storage detect", but later BIOS say "USB Storage Function" - either way, set to "Disabled"... This can be a problem, and the only time you need this enabled is if, on the next boot, you intend to either boot from a thumbdrive, or access one from the BIOS to do a flash or backup your CMOS parameters - once the OS has loaded USB drivers, it has no function, and is a known source of grief...

Unplug your front panel USBs, and try with just the rear panels for a bit - just in case of a 'lunched' connector...

Have you taken a look in Device Manager to see if the drivers look 'happy'?

Have you ever done the (obligatory) "Load Optimized Defaults' from the BIOS since you started it up?

Solution

PotRoast55

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Go into the BIOS and, on the "Integrated Peripherals" page, your manual shows "Legacy USB storage detect", but later BIOS say "USB Storage Function" - either way, set to "Disabled"... This can be a problem, and the only time you need this enabled is if, on the next boot, you intend to either boot from a thumbdrive, or access one from the BIOS to do a flash or backup your CMOS parameters - once the OS has loaded USB drivers
, it has no function, and is a known source of grief...

This seems to have done the trick, but just to be sure, I'll leave my computer on for a while with the adapter plugged in. If the computer hasn't frozen, then I'll assume it worked. :)

OK, as far as I know, it's working.

realbenny

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
Hey,
I know its an old topic, but still.
I searched for this problem for quite some while, and disabling "Legacy USB storage detect" solved it for me.
in parts. the usb drives now work on my usb hub, but not on any motherboard usb port..

I have no idea why, but atleast it now works on the hub!

Thanks, hope somebody who needs it will find this