[SOLVED] USB devices freezing / turning off at random

Apr 22, 2019
Hello,

I've been having some troubles with my USB devices lately.

For example; while playing Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (or any other game, but most noticeable while playing this game),
my mouse will just randomly freeze to then catch up like 2 seconds later (this could also be less.. like half a second.. it varies).
My keyboard and headset (both USB) have the same problem, shutting off for a short period of time at random intervals.

I'm not sure what could be the cause of this.. I've updated all of my drivers to their latest version and it doesn't only happen when in game.

Could this be my PSU which is failing? I currently have a Corsair TX750 PSU, but I have no idea how old it is.
My current PSU has been making some buzzing noises, even tho it doesn't anymore.

Any help would be HIGHLY appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Solution
It could be any number of reasons. Sometimes stuttering and freezing can occur from low memory but it doesn't seem like you're low on mem especially for gaming. It could also be from running out of storage space as that will bog things down to a halt, either if its an SSD or HDD. Lastly it could be your PSU, generally buying used is frowned upon because you don't know how long it was used for or in what condition that other owner put that thing through etc...

If it makes buzzing noises then I wouldn't even bother to use it because intermittent voltage spikes that courses through your motherboard and CPU over time is a recipe for disaster in the long run. In other words your pc components could become damaged and that would only...

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
It could be any number of reasons. Sometimes stuttering and freezing can occur from low memory but it doesn't seem like you're low on mem especially for gaming. It could also be from running out of storage space as that will bog things down to a halt, either if its an SSD or HDD. Lastly it could be your PSU, generally buying used is frowned upon because you don't know how long it was used for or in what condition that other owner put that thing through etc...

If it makes buzzing noises then I wouldn't even bother to use it because intermittent voltage spikes that courses through your motherboard and CPU over time is a recipe for disaster in the long run. In other words your pc components could become damaged and that would only exacerbate the unknown problems you may have. Try to swap out another PSU if you have one and see if that alleviates the problem or at least return that one if you can. Good luck!

Solution
Apr 22, 2019
It could also be from running out of storage space as that will bog things down to a halt, either if its an SSD or HDD.
I didn't notice that my HDD was almost out of storage. I currently have 12GB/465GB remaining space, so I will definitely try this.

Try to swap out another PSU if you have one and see if that alleviates the problem or at least return that one if you can.
Sadly, I don't have another PSU.. So If I run out of options, I guess I'll just have to buy a new one and hope this was the problem.

Thanks for your time!

If you are running into USB power issues you can test this by using an externally powered USB HUB instead of one drawing power from the PC. If you have a lot of devices this would be an issue, but keyboards and mice don't typically draw a lot of power by themselves (something else which is USB could be drawing from the same port though and it all adds up).

I have seen both PSU failure and too many devices on a port as the cause of this. What you are describing, if you don't have a lot of USB devices, is more likely the PSU (if it isn't what has been mentioned concerning other issues like memory and swapping...but if you have only 12GB remaining, perhaps there are other issues).

TRENDING THREADS