Question USB devices keep disconnecting/reconnecting while gaming ?

Dadrian Daedalus

Distinguished
May 25, 2015
I have a PC with these specs:

Asus B365g motherboard
intel-9400F
8+8GB 3000 mhz corsair memory
Corsair TXM 750 psu
nvidia 1060 6gb
3 x HDD

Of late i have observed that my usb devices,more specifically my TP link wifi adapter keeps disconnecting and reconnecting for no apparent reason and this cycle continues until i physically unplug the adapter and plug it again(ie a simple restart doesn't fix it).

This cycle of disconnection/reconnection started a few days ago while gaming-suddenly all of my usb devices disconnected and reconnected back again (including my game controller).However i found that the wifi adapter was no longer being detected .Upon restarting it was still the same-it was only after i physically removed and plugged the adapter back again that it was detected.

However today as i was playing a game,the same thing happened all over again-the game was running smoothly but suddenly there was a significant FPS drop and it was followed by the dreaded sound of usb devices losing power.But this time the adapter keeps disconnecting/reconnecting even after being unplugged and plugging back in.It keeps getting disconnected every few mins even when the pc is idle.

I assumed that the adapter must be faulty and so i switched it with another known good adapter but it didn't resolve the issue.I tried the usb port adjacent to the one in which it was plugged earlier-it worked fine for a while but the problem came back again after some time.

But when i move the adapter to any of the usb ports at the front i/o panel of the cabinet it gets detected immediately and continues to work fine.

I am really perplexed by this-whats causing this bizzare issue in my system?Is the motherboard going bad?

These components are barely 2 years old and have not been used much as i seldom get time for gaming these days.Could it be some software related glitch?

N3wb13g

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
Does it affect your entire usb devices? Or just the wifi dongle/adapter?

If it's just the wifi dongle then, I assume it's a bug from Windows itself. Don't know if it's repaired or not.
I had two different brand Bluetooth dongles which got the same problem like yours. Pull it out, and put it again on different port, and it's good.