DivneBloodline

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
Peripherals Losing Power In Certain Programs, Possibly Motherboard (X99-Deluxe II)

Short version of the problem. Losing power to all peripherals, doesn't matter where they are plugged in at. I think that is all that is happening, the lose of power to devices connected via USB, and nothing else. Everything else seem to be working normally. Also, lights on USB Devices still work, they just won't input, so may not be power lose? I don't know.

• When does the problem occur? Certain programs seem to trigger the issues, mostly video games, some applications like discord, but only under certain conditions. A few video games trigger the issue, but not all games. Some I can play for hours on end with no issues. Certain games trigger the issue on start up, can't even make it pass the menu. Discord is the only program that gives me trouble, but only when I join a call or voice channel. Talking in text chat is fine, and will cause no issues.

• Where does the problem occur? I think the problem might be with the motherboard, or a software issue, possibly a GPU issue, hard to tell.

• For how long has it been that way? I moved across the state, and after the move is when the problems started. Probably some damaged that happened in the move, but I can't see any physical damage to the components, and definitely has triggers that cause the issue.

• What have I already tried? I've reseed the RAM, GPU, and replaced PSU with an entirely new PSU. Ran the Windows RAM test, came back with no errors. Upgraded, and downgrade GPU drivers to no effect. Originally though it was the PSU because it was a power related problem, but new PSU and still having the same issues. Disabling the USB selective suspend setting in Advanced Power Options.

• What haven’t I tried? I've not been able to test another RAM kit, or another GPU. I don't have any alternatives to my current ones in use. I'm there is many things I haven't tried, sorry I know that isn't helpful, but I can't think of anything else to list here.

• Device Information OS: Windows 10, Device: Desktop, Application: Multiple
Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X
RAM: 32 GB @ 1066MHz
Motherboard: X99-Deluxe II (Socket 2011)
GPU: GTX 980

Solution
Seems like you have loss of communications with USB devices but each root hub only has two ports on it, so you shouldn't be losing more than two devices at a time if your issue was a problematic root hub, so your problem appears to be at a higher level than that.

The common point between all USB ports is that they reside in the chipset, so all of your USB devices becoming unresponsive at the same time could be a chipset issue, I'd try removing all non-essential USB devices and see if you can isolate the issue to a specific USB device + port combination, adding one device at a time until you find the one that causes the chipset to barf on USB.

InvalidError

Titan
Seems like you have loss of communications with USB devices but each root hub only has two ports on it, so you shouldn't be losing more than two devices at a time if your issue was a problematic root hub, so your problem appears to be at a higher level than that.

The common point between all USB ports is that they reside in the chipset, so all of your USB devices becoming unresponsive at the same time could be a chipset issue, I'd try removing all non-essential USB devices and see if you can isolate the issue to a specific USB device + port combination, adding one device at a time until you find the one that causes the chipset to barf on USB.

Reactions: DivneBloodline
Solution

DivneBloodline

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
That seems to have fixed the problem, or at least everything seems to working out so far. I removed everything from the USB hub built into my case. One of the USB port must have a shortage, because one ports in the hub rapidly switches between being function and not working. If anything is plugged into that Case USB Hub it will stop input from all USB devices, even ones plugged into the motherboard directly. Anyways, everything is plugged directly into the motherboard now, and seems to be working. I can't believe I couldn't put two and two together. Should I unplug that Hub from my motherboard? Can it cause any more damage, not entirely sure if it's connect to the fan control or not, but I doubt it. Though I do have a question, why do you think it is only certain programs that would cause this to happen? The only thing plugged into that Hub was my mouse, and something a storage USB.

I feel really dumb now lol, and thanks a lot for solving the problem. Many Thanks, You're Freaking Awesome!

InvalidError

Titan
If your case's built-in USB causes USB to stop working, then there is no point in leaving it plugged in and it shouldn't cause any problems.

As for why it is only certain programs causing issues, I would have to guess it may have something to do with IO patterns, such as enumerating input/output devices at load-time. Having a dying or dead port can cause weird things to happen when you try to use them.