cchhrriiss

Reputable
Mar 12, 2018
Hello, I recently upgraded my desktop with a new motherboard, GPU, CPU, and storage drive. I put everything together, then played around with it as it was for a couple of days before updating or doing much change with the software, and everything was fine. I decided to update my BIOS and when I went to login to Windows afterwards my keyboard and mouse turned off and on a few times back to back. This happens right at the Windows login screen and sometimes it can happen 4 or 5 times with each loop taking roughly 30 seconds, once I am in Windows it does not happen again.

This does not happen every time but maybe 50% of the time, and I think it is affecting all of my USB ports because when it happens I have to unplug and reconnect my other USB devices like my Xbox controller wireless dongle(which is plugged into a front panel USB port). This may have been happening before the BIOS update, but after updating is when I started to notice it. I thought maybe it was an issue with drivers from all the upgrades I was doing, so I wiped my storage drives with Diskpart and did a fresh Windows 10 installation, after which the problem is still there.

My setup is currently:

Ryzen 7 5800x,
ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (which is where I think the problem is stemming from in some way)
XFX 6900 XT
WD Black NVME SSD(boot drive)
Teamgroup Dark Pro DDR4
Corsair TX850M
Windows 10.

Any feedback is appreciated, thank you in advance.

I also rolled the BIOS back to the previous version, and the problem was still there. I tried Secure Boot on and off as well, my next step is going to be to upgrade to Windows 11 thinking that might fix it but I doubt it will, and I would rather wait on the Windows upgrade. This is happening right as the BIOS hands the system over to the OS(Windows), which makes me think it is either something with the motherboard or a setting in Windows, like a mentioned once it is done these "loops" everything works fine... it is still quite an annoyance and I would like it to not happen. Thank you again for any help.

Ralston18

Titan
How many USB devices are connected?

What USB devices: make, model, etc...?

Are you using any sort of USB hub to connect the other USB devices?

Is the USB hub independently powered?

How old is that Corsair TX850M ? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or bit mining.

When you installed the new components did you mix and match in cables from other PSUs?

cchhrriiss

Reputable
Mar 12, 2018
Thank you for the response, I think you might be right it may be something related to power possibly a power setting somewhere. The PSU is 4 or 5 years old with moderate use but nothing extreme or 24/7 like mining and I used only the cables that came with it, I do not think there is anything wrong with it. There are 5 USB devices connected, 4 in the rear and 1 in the front panel, no hubs. The components are Xbox controller dongle, Glorious wired keyboard and mouse, and Logitech wired headset and webcam. I have never changed from default power settings, maybe I should try "performance" via AMD or Windows, I am using "balanced" through Windows right now, do you think this would be the cause? Thank you again.

cchhrriiss

Reputable
Mar 12, 2018
How many USB devices are connected?

What USB devices: make, model, etc...?

Are you using any sort of USB hub to connect the other USB devices?

Is the USB hub independently powered?

How old is that Corsair TX850M ? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or bit mining.

When you installed the new components did you mix and match in cables from other PSUs?
I am not sure what is causing this, but I guess the PSU could use an upgrade even though I do not think it is failing in any way. I just picked up an HX850, after I get it installed I will post if the issue is gone. Installing a PSU is a pain, but I also have some RAM and new fans I want to install so it will be a little project... fun fun.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Remember, just to be clear, do not mix and match in PSU cables from other PSUs.

[Edit]

Left out the suggestion that instead of connecting al USB devices to the host PC try using an independently powered USB hub. That is another available option.

Last edited: