USB disconnects when other USB devices are in use

SirReddSir

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
My desktop keeps disconnecting my USB keyboard whenever I use my USB external hard drive.

This is a strange problem and I can't quite figure out where I'm going wrong.

I have a USB gaming keyboard which is connected to my desktop via USB directly into the MOBO. I also have a 1.5TB external HD connected to a powered USB hub, which is then connected via USB to the MOBO.

Whenever I transfer a significant amount of data to the external HD, the keyboard loses connectivity, and won't reestablish a connection until I reboot or unplug/replug it in. I have two external HDs and the problem is repeatable for both.

It's almost like the data transfer overloads the system... except other USB connected devices (the mouse, for example) still work.

Any thoughts?

(I should add, I'm on a custom built PC running Windows 10)

Solution
Hi there SirReddSir,

What happens when you are not using the USB hub? Does the issue persists?
What do you mean directly to the MOBO? Is the keyboard attached to the ports on the back of the computer case? Have you tried using a different port?

You can just:
- Attach the keyboard to the ports on the back, if it is attached to the ports on the front panel. (and vice versa)
- Update your MOBO's drivers.

Let us know how this goes,
D_Know_WD :)
Hi there SirReddSir,

What happens when you are not using the USB hub? Does the issue persists?
What do you mean directly to the MOBO? Is the keyboard attached to the ports on the back of the computer case? Have you tried using a different port?

You can just:
- Attach the keyboard to the ports on the back, if it is attached to the ports on the front panel. (and vice versa)
- Update your MOBO's drivers.

Let us know how this goes,
D_Know_WD :)

Solution