Question USB Drive Fails to Safely Eject

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Hello All

Have a minor issue, sometimes my usb drives won't eject in Windows 10 Pro x64, 20H2

Even after restarts still won't

finally just removed it from the port, and turned off the drive, i'm 99.9 percent sure nothing was reading or writing to the backup drive, as done my Macirum reflect system image eariler in the day yesterday, went to safely eject at 2am, and still wouldn't, even tried from PC Admin account, finally i was like well it's set for quick removal, maybe it will be fine to do this for one time, should i run chkdsk on that drive? (It's an 8TB Seagate in external usb 3.1 enclosure))

Also regarding chkdsk, how often should that be ran? should it be run as part of monthly maintenance, or every 3-4 months for my mechanical drives?

WD Black 4TB (Internal)

USB 3.1 Enclosure with Seagate Barracuda 8TB (backup drive)

and USB 2.0 WD Elements 500gb

Welcome any suggestions or tips in this matter

It's likely when Windows tells you it can't eject a drive, some app is holding onto a file that's in it. You can use Process Explorer to figure out who has what file open. If you're certain nothing important is going on, you can usually yank the drive out anyway. The biggest concern with pulling a drive over USB without calling the eject command is there's something in cache that hasn't been written to out to the storage. But if you haven't written anything to it, it probably doesn't matter if you call the command or not.

As for running CHKDSK, there's no real rule on how often it should be run. If it helps you go to sleep at night, you can run it every time you hook it up when you do your backups.

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Well i finished the System images yesterday around 10am, tried to eject it then, no such luck lol, so i was like ok i'll wait a while, and then i forgot on it--then tried again at 2am, and still wouldn't eject lol, so i was like ok i'll restart system, and login to admin account, no such luck there either lol.

So restarted a 2nd time, and then waited about 15-30 minutes longer, then i was like well do i leave connected over night, or yank, ended up yanking anyway, and i was certain nothing was reading or writing only reason yanked, otherwise i never do, and always safely eject