Question USB drive reverts to read only on win11 but works fine on win10

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
I installed an nvme ssd drive into a nvme to usb adapter. It worked fine on Win11 but appx 45 minutes later it crashed saying fatal hardware error. Rebooted and no change. Next I put the drive in a win10 laptop and it works fine. Then I put it back into the win11 desktop and it registers as a read only. Tried some procedures online in the command prompt but nothing worked. I'm currently cloning the drive using Acronis software. Not sure if it's going to work but a lot of people are complaining about this problem. There is a registry edit to disable read only on everything but Win11 doesn't have the register in the descriptions. It seems a lot of websites copy each others bogus fixes. So I came here to ask for help. Any suggestions would be great.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
So if you copy files to drive, they fail?
How can you tell its read only?

I wonder cause all folders in both win 10 & 11 are all read only by default, but their status doesn't normally stop a user with right permissions from writing to them.

which adapter?

what make/model nvme? it could just be a bad Crucial drive, is this the one which showed as 2 drives?

Have you run this set of commands on that drive?
9open command prompt (admin)

diskpart

list disk

(Note down the disk number oof that drive, and replace X in the following command)

select disk X

attributes disk clear readonly
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-or-this/a3179cf2-0cb9-48e2-ad24-bf50e1f9f7c7

could try steps 2 & 3 here to make Win 11 forget the device, might allow you to reinstall it again - https://www.maketecheasier.com/remove-old-drivers-windows/#force-old-drivers-to-appear

Last edited:

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
Yes, I tried the cmd stuff, list disk, etc. It claims to have work but disk management still says it's a read only drive. I cloned another drive and it's still a read only. It the JMS583 USB 3.1 Gen 2 to PCIe Gen 3x2 Bridge Controller as a konyead product. Since it originally worked in win 11 then flaked out given me the fatal hardware error about 30 minutes later I think its a driver issue. It works absolutely perfect on my laptop with win 10. Chkdsk says it's fine in win 10 but in win11 it has errors. I can't find any new driver for it nor firmware. I doubt it has anything to do with the nvme problem as the ssd worked fine. So basically it's starting to show the symptoms of a driver issue. I'm going to try the driver compatability next. It's so messed up the cloning software thinks it's a 4 tb disk. I suppose I'll keep it though, I really wanted to use it on my router. I think it can be used as a shared drive for on my router. I'm glad you know your stuff and try to help man. I guess only time will tell. That router usb thing probably won't work either. lol I'm going to try and get the firmware, but it looks like I have to email Jmicron for that. It's a four year old card, still rev one so apparently it's been working fine since it's first release. Thanks again, talk later. All good suggestions you gave me, asked good question. Nice work man. I'll try the links you gave me and let ya know what happens.

Colif

Win 11 Master

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
Ya, it could be instability of my usb section on the win11 machine, Good point, I'll try disconnecting all the stuff and see how it goes, I might really just need a powered usb hub. Any recommendations on one, I do have the usb jerry rigged. Have a usb 2 powered hub connected to a usb thing that has 4 passive switches on it. And that's being fed by a usb 3 adapter on the pcie slot. I'm surprised it works at all, good point. I'll give it a try later. Thanks

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
no drivers needed really.
https://www.jmicron.com/file/download/1012/JMS583_Product+Brief.pdf
i don't think its cause.
the drivers would be built into windows. USB is looked after by windows.

The other difference in equation is its 2 different PC. If it was same PC, and it worked in 10 but not 11, I could say it was windows 11. But its 2 different PC, so there could be other reasons.
I found the problem, it was the adapter itself. It stopped working and wouldn't allow the computer to run. I took out the ssd and tried it in a true nvme card on an older computer and it is fine. With the ssd in or out the computer won't even enter the bios. I have a switched usb hub too, watching the bios run showing the fans turning and switch it on, the images of turning fans instantly stops. My guess the chip fried and shorted the usb supplies. The thing was getting hot just setting there plugged in. I disconnected it and tried it on the other computer and it's dead. I'm getting another one with the Chipset RTL9210B. It accommodates both sata or nvme drives. It has built in thermal sensing and stops ssd writing until it cools. It's also vented and comes with thermal pads. They say the chipset is stable on nearly all drives. So I'm going to try it and see what happens. Also Samsung drives are what a lot of these things pre approve. This one says it works on Crucial P1/P2/P5 , I have the P3 lol. If it doesn't work, I'll swap it with a Samsung. I thought something was wrong the whole time, why was it getting warm when not in use, then it started getting even warmer and it was going back then it crashed for good. This is what I'm getting. It supports more operating systems and I'm hoping I can get it working in my router. Talk later, and thanks again. https://www.amazon.com/Enclosure-Ad...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Colif

Win 11 Master
its sad its the same shape as all the fake external ssd, its what makes them almost believable.

So let us know if its a good one as if the only way to ensure an external drive is right size is to use an adapter, it helps if they work too.

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
its sad its the same shape as all the fake external ssd, its what makes them almost believable.

So let us know if its a good one as if the only way to ensure an external drive is right size is to use an adapter, it helps if they work too.
OK update, BAD ADAPTER, the new one works just fine. Amazing how hardware issue can't be solved with software yet people insist it's the software. So this new usb adapter comes with a heat sink pad long enough to cover the ssd. This is hillarious, If you put it on the drive you can't slide it in the case because it's too sticky and won't slide in. So on the instructions they said to put it on outside of the case. Laughed at that and put it on the ssd and added some thermal compound to the top of the pad and it slid right in there. Unbelievable, lucky for me I had some thermal compound. Crazy haha.

Last edited: