usb drivers problem

Giuliano

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2003

hi,
I have googled around and found nothing but questions with no working
answers, so I'll ask here :)
I have winxp pro sp2 on my pc. I have also a 6 usb hub on my
motherboard and some external usb enclosures with ide risks in them.
Eveything works fine but today I built an external usb case (it was a
4-bay scsi case with dedicated psu) with 2 usb to ide bridges (total of
four disks). when I plug the usb cables into the hub he OS asks me for a
"usb 2.0 storage device" driver which I don't have. So I tried to plug
everything in my notebook (xp home sp2) and everithing workd out of the
box. I tried to uninstall the drivers from my pc: nothing changes. I
plugged in a PCI USB2 card (4 ports) and nothing changes.
Other USB mass storage compatible devices (usb pen, other drives
enclosuer, digital camera) works fine.
Is there a way to force the OS to load the correct drivers (on the
notebook they were disk.sys partmgr.sys) or shomething I cann try to
have this work ? I have already reinstalled the OS this year and I hope
to live with it for at least other 6 months...

tia

giuliano

USB 2.0 drivers are installed with XP SP1 automatically.However to run the
new drivers,one must open device mgr,scroll down to USB,USB controller,
R.click,select,update drivers.XP will update auto.

"giuliano" wrote:

> hi,
> I have googled around and found nothing but questions with no working
> answers, so I'll ask here :)
> I have winxp pro sp2 on my pc. I have also a 6 usb hub on my
> motherboard and some external usb enclosures with ide risks in them.
> Eveything works fine but today I built an external usb case (it was a
> 4-bay scsi case with dedicated psu) with 2 usb to ide bridges (total of
> four disks). when I plug the usb cables into the hub he OS asks me for a
> "usb 2.0 storage device" driver which I don't have. So I tried to plug
> everything in my notebook (xp home sp2) and everithing workd out of the
> box. I tried to uninstall the drivers from my pc: nothing changes. I
> plugged in a PCI USB2 card (4 ports) and nothing changes.
> Other USB mass storage compatible devices (usb pen, other drives
> enclosuer, digital camera) works fine.
> Is there a way to force the OS to load the correct drivers (on the
> notebook they were disk.sys partmgr.sys) or shomething I cann try to
> have this work ? I have already reinstalled the OS this year and I hope
> to live with it for at least other 6 months...
>
> tia
>
> giuliano

Giuliano

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2003

Andrew E. wrote:
> USB 2.0 drivers are installed with XP SP1 automatically.However to
run the
> new drivers,one must open device mgr,scroll down to USB,USB controller,
> R.click,select,update drivers.XP will update auto.

Hi Andrew,
I already tried that with no luck. As now I have the device with a
yellow exclamation mark in the hardware manager. It's called "USB 2.0
Storage Device" (the name is the same on the notebook where it works
fine). Rhe device status tells that the device is not correctly
configures (code 1) and suggests to reinstall the drivers. If I try this
(or if I choose to update the drivers) the wizard ends with an error
message about the drivers/software for the device that couldn't be found
and suggests to install the software from the manufacturer's cd. If I
try to roll back the drivers the system says that there are no backups
(I've used an xp sp2 install cd) so this is correct.

any other idea about this ?

tia