[SOLVED] USB/eSATA PCIe Halts PC Boot

bejhan

Prominent
Feb 22, 2021
I purchased a PCIe card from Amazon to add a couple of USB ports and an eSATA port.
However, my computer will not boot with this card in. I've tried a few PCIe slots, with the same result.
I thought I'd check here for a solution before I return it.

It has an internal SATA port and Molex power connector, which I did not connect as the product page does not mention these at all and it did not come with any sort of manual or instructions.
Could this be the issue? I didn't think a small card should need more power than PCIe can provide. I also don't have any SATA ports available so that would make the eSATA useless.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Thanks for the response.
I decided to give it another go (which I probably should've done before posting here).

After supplying power via Molex connector, my computer was able to boot with the card in.
The USB ports worked but the eSATA port did not. It wasn't until connecting the card to a motherboard SATA port that it started to work.

This is quite disappointing as I specifically bought this card because I'm out of SATA ports (and I thought a few extra USB would be nice bonus).
I guess I'll be returning this. It would've been nice if this was all stated on the product page.
I guess that is why real eSATA cards are $40 and not $15 ...

kanewolf

Titan
I purchased a PCIe card from Amazon to add a couple of USB ports and an eSATA port.
However, my computer will not boot with this card in. I've tried a few PCIe slots, with the same result.
I thought I'd check here for a solution before I return it.

It has an internal SATA port and Molex power connector, which I did not connect as the product page does not mention these at all and it did not come with any sort of manual or instructions.
Could this be the issue? I didn't think a small card should need more power than PCIe can provide. I also don't have any SATA ports available so that would make the eSATA useless.

Thanks in advance.
The power connector could be the reason. It could incompatible with your BIOS. A 2.5 star rating with just 2 reviews isn't a confidence inspiring rating either.

bejhan

Prominent
Feb 22, 2021
Thanks for the response.
I decided to give it another go (which I probably should've done before posting here).

After supplying power via Molex connector, my computer was able to boot with the card in.
The USB ports worked but the eSATA port did not. It wasn't until connecting the card to a motherboard SATA port that it started to work.

This is quite disappointing as I specifically bought this card because I'm out of SATA ports (and I thought a few extra USB would be nice bonus).
I guess I'll be returning this. It would've been nice if this was all stated on the product page.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for the response.

I guess that is why real eSATA cards are $40 and not $15 ...

Solution

TRENDING THREADS