USB external drives?

Hi -

I'm about to splash out on an external USB harddisk (say, 160gig) as a
backup device, and I wondered if anyone had any recommendations on
brands/reliability.

I've been happy with Maxtor internal drives, but don't know much about
external USB units.

TIA

Tony

I use this case with 160 and 200 gig seagates. Have 6 of them and have
zero issues. Will support up to 300 gig drive.

--
ASUS A8V/Athlon FX-55
ATI RADEON X800XT PE

Thanks for the info.

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005,13:31:09, Hawkeye wrote

"Tony Stanford" <tonystanford@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message

> Hi -
>
> I'm about to splash out on an external USB harddisk (say, 160gig) as a
> backup device, and I wondered if anyone had any recommendations on
> brands/reliability.
>
> I've been happy with Maxtor internal drives, but don't know much about
> external USB units.
>
> TIA
>
> Tony

Hi T.
I`m using an `ICYBOX`, USB + Firewire, got it`s own power supply. I fitted
it with a 200GB harddrive. I`m a happy bunny.
best wishes..OJ

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:40:31 +0000 (UTC), Tony Stanford
<tonystanford@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi -
>
>I'm about to splash out on an external USB harddisk (say, 160gig) as a
>backup device, and I wondered if anyone had any recommendations on
>brands/reliability.
>
>I've been happy with Maxtor internal drives, but don't know much about
>external USB units.
>
>TIA
>
>Tony

The HDDs used in external units are no different to those internally,
The external units are just housed in a case. You can buy proprietary
cases in which you can mount a HDD or buy units in which the HDD is
already mounted or you can buy a 'no name brand' and your own HDD for
half the price. I have opted for the latter and have no problems
whatsover.