USB File Transfer Speed (Very Slow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent Palisoc

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
My file transfer speed is very slow (about 4mb/s). What's irregular about it is that, my laptop which I bought around 6 years ago transfers speed at 30 mb/s using the same flash drive. I tried it with other flash drives of different sizes, and also an external HD. Also tested it from all 6 ports (4 at the back, 2 at front). The result is still the same, my desktop's transfer speed is still slower.

I'm not really sure if this is a hardware or a software problem. My specs are:
A10 AMD 6800k APU - 4.0-4.4 GHz
1TB Caviar Blue HDD
Gigabyte F2A75-D3H
4 GB RipjawX 1600 mHz

I forgot my laptop's specs, its something like a dual core, 2.5ish GHz, 2 GB ram, and im sure it's quite inferior to my desktop's.

I did everything I know. Did a fresh install of windows, updated it, downloaded the latest drives from the ff manufacturers. Also updated the bios.

Anyone got an idea? I'm all ears!

Solution

Good for you!!. But check transfer speed otherways too i.e. read speed on your desktop to make sure that problem is rectified cause 30 vs 4 is still a pretty difference for read vs write (p.s. i didnt came upon this much difference)!!!
Be sure to ask more & choose a solution for the forum.

coolguybaddude

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
Hope your RAM has no troubled sectors i.e. 4 GB toatal & HDD is clean of viruses & data. Your desktop need space to breath & clean from viruses. Is this only case with transfer speed or softwares too take time to open??

coolguybaddude

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
when did the problem uprooted in pc .

Be sure it's not caused by installation of any specific software (even specific windows) or followed by certain event.

Also try DSKCHK, defragmentation; Bad sectors might be there.

I can't think of any specfic hardware error that slows the usb transfer speed, the port might just go dead coz of hardware error.

Brent Palisoc

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
CHKDSK and Defrag'ed. Still the same.

Actually from the start. I just at first thought that it was my front panel usb ports which was defective.

Anyway, I use a keyboard, mouse, 2 game controllers, external DVD drive, and a Broadband stick, all connected to the USB ports. Would that somewhat affect it? I tried to remove them all except the keyboard and mouse (for obvious reasons). But the transfer speed's still the same.

If this is a hardware problem, the motherboard is the only cause right?

coolguybaddude

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
Well from software end you have tried good but you also mentioned an external dvd drive, whats the case with that?

No the no. of components connected doesn't affect as the data transfer is governed by CPU, RAM etc. which is good.

Be sure to report the solution if you have found any or choose the best one as it eases the troubles of going through entire thread for answers for others!!!!!

Brent Palisoc

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
I'm dumb. I was using my desktop to copy a ~5 GB file into the the flash drive then copy that same file from the flash drive onto my laptop (which caused the big discrepancy in transfer speed). I forgot that read speed was always faster than write speed.

coolguybaddude

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013

Good for you!!. But check transfer speed otherways too i.e. read speed on your desktop to make sure that problem is rectified cause 30 vs 4 is still a pretty difference for read vs write (p.s. i didnt came upon this much difference)!!!
Be sure to ask more & choose a solution for the forum.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.