USB Flash Drive: Doesn't work anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmilln1

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
Well my flash drive used to work but today when I plugged it in it didn't work, no light came on the device or anything. Is it anyway for me to get my information off the drive since its no longer working in any computer?

shabaa

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
The drive is toast! It has been disconnected from the computer without using the windows disconnect hardware tool that is in the lower right hand tray on the screen. It is now pretty much useless and is good to use as a reminder of why people should not disconnect a usb drive without disconnecting it in windows first. Sorry

G

"The drive is toast! It has been disconnected from the computer without using the windows disconnect hardware tool that is in the lower right hand tray on the screen. It is now pretty much useless and is good to use as a reminder of why people should not disconnect a usb drive without disconnecting it in windows first. Sorry"

same thing happened to me, so i can't retrive all my documents on it?
and when i did remove my usb the computer was turned off and i already had safely removed the device.

Ross47

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I too had a problem with my USB Drive not being recognised. :fou:
I had the previous days spent about 25 hours on a Uni assignment. I needed the data. Spent many hours looking on the net and trialing several programs.
The end result a program called 'Diskdigger' did it for me. The word document once recovered had to be opened in wordpad, and then I cut & pasted back into a word document. deleted the word programming codes. and had to reformat my assignment, but it's back and saved my hair from falling out :wahoo:

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

i am remembering the countless times over the last years using multiple flash drives and taking them out without doing anykind of "safely remove hardware or eject feature in windows" and everything still works fine...never had a problem.

wolfbrancher

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
I suppose this could be too late for you, but if others have similar problem, I would suggest you not be so quick to start playing taps and digging the grave. Try the USB drive in a few other PCs and then if it works again, then go back to the first PC and uninstall all USB devices in Device manager. Reboot and try again. Another thing to try would be to open control panel > administrative services > services and make sure mas storage devices service is enabled. Hope this helps.

G

what procedures did you follow when using diskdigger to retrieve your files off of your usb?

Status
Not open for further replies.