USB Flash Drive Maximum Capacity for MoBo Bios Update via USB

eyesky

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Hi everyone,

I read somewhere that the maximum USB flash drive capacity to use for ASUS Z77 MoBo bios updating via USB is 8 Mb, however, I could not find info with this regard in ASUS P8Z77-V manual. Is there actually a maximum size for your FAT32 USB Flash drive to be used for bios update via USB on ASUS MoBos? Can I use a 32 Gb or 16 Gb USB 3.0 flash drive for this purpose?

Solution
I see no mention of a limitation. I wouldnt use anything over 16GB.

A 2GB drive or less will give you maximum support. No NTFS!

Why are you flashing the BIOS? 99% of the time a BIOS flash is the wrong answer.

EVEN WHEN DONE PROPERLY YOU RUN A RISK OF DESTROYING YOUR COMPUTER! DO NOT ATTEMPT! (Unless you know exactly what you are doing, why you are doing it, and what your expected end result will be.)

Dr_JRE

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
I see no mention of a limitation. I wouldnt use anything over 16GB.

A 2GB drive or less will give you maximum support. No NTFS!

Why are you flashing the BIOS? 99% of the time a BIOS flash is the wrong answer.

EVEN WHEN DONE PROPERLY YOU RUN A RISK OF DESTROYING YOUR COMPUTER! DO NOT ATTEMPT! (Unless you know exactly what you are doing, why you are doing it, and what your expected end result will be.)

Solution

eyesky

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

Thanks for your info.

Why wouldn't you use anything over 16Gb?

ASUS has released bios update every 1 or 2 months for Z77 boards. I think because of new chipset and architecture they needed fine tuning. I have updated my BIOS two times so far via ASUS software though Windows. The last update imporved my some issue I was experiencing with rebooting and also reduced the boot time.
I am going to buy a USB 3.0 flash drive for general use. So, I wanted to know if I bought a 32 Gb could I still use it to update the bios, just in case.

it has to be a fat formatted usb stick. also on the z77 mb from asus you have to rename the bios file per asus. some of the mb have a usb flash back port that is the safeest way to update the bios. the next way is to use the bios updater inside the bios.

eyesky

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

The problem is not solved yet. I accidenally hit the "solved problem" button. So, why is it advisable to not use a USB drive larger that 16 Gb or 8 Gb (I am not sure which one!) for this purpose, as the other user has suggested?

(To a moderator: please, remove the "solved problem" icon if possible. Thanks.)

Dr_JRE

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Because your BIOS flash utility may not be able to understand a drive that large.

This is 2012 so it likely won't be an issue but it is with older boards. i do not personally own that board so I do not know for sure it will work with drives larger than 8GB.

The safest thing to use is a FAT formatted 2GB drive as it is 100% compatible with pretty much any computer that has USB.