USB Flash Drive not working in Windows 7 PC (But works in another Win7 Machine)

Genetic517

Reputable
May 5, 2014
hello everyone, hope you guys can help me.

problem: im not able to view my files on my Sandisk 8gb flash drive. i plug it in, i hear the device sound, but nothing else happens. if i go into disk management the device is there, and i also see it properly installed in device manager. ive tried my plugging in my phone (have a ext. sd card) and a external hard drive and both work just fine. i plug this flash drive into my other windows 7 pc and it pops up instantly.

What ive tried to fix issue:

1. i removed the drivers and tried to reinstall. once i uninstall and reinstall the flash drive works perfectly the first time i plug it in , but then once i remove and plug it back, im back to square one

2. ive ran drivecleaner to completely remove EVERY usb driver install, no joy.

3. ive tried changing the drive letter, no go.

4. i formatted the flash drive twice in fat32 format

5. motherboard drivers are up to date, all windows updates installed

6. i ran virus/spyware/malware scan. nothing found

Any help would be greatly appreciated (seriously, i need this working!) . thank you in advance for your time and help.

- Justin

edit: just forgot to add the flash drive works properly if i boot into safe mode.

Solution
Ok so if the device runs properly when in safe mode there of course is a program/process running that will not let this USB run. Check your processes carefully when out of safe mode. Make sure there is nothing weird running because some viruses can be FUD (Fully undetectable). If it helps take a screenshot of your processes when in safe mode and save it to your desktop then try comparing your processes when out of safe mode.

Austin R

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
Ok so if the device runs properly when in safe mode there of course is a program/process running that will not let this USB run. Check your processes carefully when out of safe mode. Make sure there is nothing weird running because some viruses can be FUD (Fully undetectable). If it helps take a screenshot of your processes when in safe mode and save it to your desktop then try comparing your processes when out of safe mode.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS