Hampshire Lady

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
Apologies if I've put this in the wrong section!

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me please. :(
I have purchased a "My Memory" 8gb USB Flash Drive, hoping to use it for photo storage.
Expected it to "plug and play", but, although it is listed in the
Device Manager as working and compatible, and the "safe to exit launcher" is on the
task bar on the desktop, the flash drive icon is not showing in "My computer". So of
course I can't use it.
Can anyone suggest why it isn't in there along with the other drives?

jay_l_a

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
Is this the first time you've tried it?

Pull it out. Restart your machine. Plug it back in. Open Windows Explorer.

Is it there now?

gorak

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
go to computer management , disk management ... if you have any drives listed as "E" change that to any other letter . plug the usb drive now ,it should show up as drive "E" now . The USB device is trying to use "E" as default and when that is used it will not show up with a drive letter .

Hampshire Lady

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
Hi Jay, Gorak & Rabid Bunny,
Thank you so much for your suggestions. Jay, I'd been trying for some time
and I had tried restarting several times. No go!, Gorak, You were right about the "E" default. I changed it to G. and still no go. It Kept reverting to blank or "E" drive. I also formatted it and started all over again. Rabidbunny, it's already fat32 format, but in desperation I tried empty nfts folder and new path but that didn't work. I think it must be my pc that has a problem as I have a small 125 mg plug in storage drive.(fat file)That is not showing in My Computer any more either, though like the 8GB, it is showing in devices and disc manager. Thank you all for your suggestions. Much appreciated! Jennie B. (Hampshire Lady)

Hampshire Lady

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
No Jay, good point but sorry it isn't that - all ports are connected. In fact I've tried the computer's usb ports and have a hub port which the flash drive manufacturer recommends to use. device manager reports they are all working.

I think it might be as well to try it on a friend's computer to see if it works on that. If so, then I know it's my pc causing the problem.

Hampshire Lady

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
That is a probability, but because it's shown as "health and Active" in
the "disc management" I have just presumed it's the filepath causing the problem. If it doesn't work first time on a friend's pc I'll send it back as faulty and hopefully a replacement will work.