Hello,

I recently purchased a Sandisk Micro Cruzer 512M USB flash drive. It
works fine on my Win2K at work. It works fine on my Win98SE after
(MSI KT3 Ultra mother board with VIA chipset, USB 2.0).

It says 'Unknown Device" in the device manager listed under USB,
however, it says "This device is working correctly". . I have tried to
uninstall the USB drivers and letting it re-recognize/reload them. I
have tried updating my BIOS and the drivers. All USB ports work with
other devices fine. Can anyone shed any light on this issue?

Thanks,

Ben

--
Home Page: www.rvlover.net

Try it with a powered USB1 or USB2 hub.
--PA

"Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
> Try it with a powered USB1 or USB2 hub.
> --PA

I don't have a powered USB hub. My current MB has 6 ports.. I've tried
all of them to no avail. I've even unplugged everything else and tired
it to no avail. I'm trying to avoid extra expense as a new powered hub
would likely cost more than the flash memory. Maybe I can borrowed a
powered hub on Monday from work just to see if that works. I still don't
understand why it wouldn't work with my current system. Is there a way
to downgrade to USB 1.1 and try it? It's suppose to be USB 2.0
compatible but I'd like to try USB 1.1 if possible. I don't see how to
do that.

Thanks,

Ben

"Ben Hogland" <benhogland@hotmail.com> wrote in news:OrcE9cJLFHA.2492
@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:

> Hello,
>
> I recently purchased a Sandisk Micro Cruzer 512M USB flash drive. It
> works fine on my Win2K at work. It works fine on my Win98SE after
> (MSI KT3 Ultra mother board with VIA chipset, USB 2.0).
>
> It says 'Unknown Device" in the device manager listed under USB,
> however, it says "This device is working correctly". . I have tried to
> uninstall the USB drivers and letting it re-recognize/reload them. I
> have tried updating my BIOS and the drivers. All USB ports work with
> other devices fine. Can anyone shed any light on this issue?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ben

If it works with a W2k system, then the XP system has a problem. More
than likely the VIA drivers are out of date. With the usb drive inserted,
go to Windows Update and get it up to speed. If that doesn't get you
there, go and find the latest VIA 4 in 1 drivers and install them.

"Thagor" <thagor@email.coma> wrote in message

> If it works with a W2k system, then the XP system has a problem. More
> than likely the VIA drivers are out of date. With the usb drive
> inserted,
> go to Windows Update and get it up to speed. If that doesn't get you
> there, go and find the latest VIA 4 in 1 drivers and install them.

It really amazes me regardless of time or place when people refuse to
read the content of a message. No offense intended, but my system has
the latest VIA drivers. It was fairly obvious when I stated "I have
tried updating my BIOS and the drivers.".. I understand that some people
just can't read but it sure would make for less bandwidth if they could.

Sorry, to those that honestly want to help.

Thagor. I'll give you a bit of advise since you took the time to give me
your version of advise. Learn to read the written word. I tire of
dealing with huge EGOs who only want to hear themselves reverb their
glorious word without regard to facts.

Thanks..

Ben

You do not need any drivers to use a USB flash drive in XP, so uninstall any
drivers you may have installed. Now check whether the Sandisk drive has
affinity for a particular drive letter. Check the drive letter the thumb
drive is claiming on different systems. Now check whether this drive letter
has been already taken by another device on the affected computer. This may
be a CD, DVD drive or network resource. You may need to change drive letter
assignments using Disk Management.

Start>Run>diskmgmt.msc

To free a drive letter, right click the drive occupying the drive letter and
select "Select Drive letter and path".

Let us know if this helps.

"Abhilash Tibrewal(MCSA)" <abhionnetATnospamsify.com> wrote in message
> You do not need any drivers to use a USB flash drive in XP, so
> uninstall any drivers you may have installed. Now check whether the
> Sandisk drive has
> affinity for a particular drive letter. Check the drive letter the
> thumb drive is claiming on different systems. Now check whether this
> drive letter
> has been already taken by another device on the affected computer.
> This may be a CD, DVD drive or network resource. You may need to
> change drive letter
> assignments using Disk Management.
>
> Start>Run>diskmgmt.msc
>
> To free a drive letter, right click the drive occupying the drive
> letter and select "Select Drive letter and path".
>
> Let us know if this helps.

I went and checked that. It doesn't appear that is the problem. It when
looking in the Device Manager, it shows up as an Unknown Device (not a
USB drive). It says it's working correctly but does not know what it
is.. I did not load any drivers for it because it does not have XP
drivers except for Win 98SE. I checked for other drives using your
method. It does not list this drive. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Ben

"Ben Hogland" <benhogland@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Or29ltLLFHA.3340@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

>Maybe I can borrowed a
> powered hub on Monday from work just to see if that works.

Ok, I'll wait till Monday :)

> Is there a way
> to downgrade to USB 1.1 and try it? It's suppose to be USB 2.0
> compatible but I'd like to try USB 1.1 if possible. I don't see how to
> do that.

Same. Get also an USB 1.1 hub, when connected to USB2 host, it will "downgrade".

Why it doesn't Just Work As Is? All hardware products are made per standard,
but some are more equal than others, and soeme are less equal.
--PA

Well Ben, since you are such a smart ass towards someone who offered
assistance, you're on your own, big mouth.

Have a nice day!

Fred

Ben Hogland wrote:
> "Thagor" <thagor@email.coma> wrote in message
>

>>If it works with a W2k system, then the XP system has a problem. More
>>than likely the VIA drivers are out of date. With the usb drive
>>inserted,
>>go to Windows Update and get it up to speed. If that doesn't get you
>>there, go and find the latest VIA 4 in 1 drivers and install them.
>

> It really amazes me regardless of time or place when people refuse to
> read the content of a message. No offense intended, but my system has
> the latest VIA drivers. It was fairly obvious when I stated "I have
> tried updating my BIOS and the drivers.".. I understand that some people
> just can't read but it sure would make for less bandwidth if they could.
>
> Sorry, to those that honestly want to help.
>
> Thagor. I'll give you a bit of advise since you took the time to give me
> your version of advise. Learn to read the written word. I tire of
> dealing with huge EGOs who only want to hear themselves reverb their
> glorious word without regard to facts.
>
> Thanks..
>
> Ben

Ben, sometimes people pick up things mid-thread and don't have all the information provided. Your
attitiude toward Thagor, who didn't have to offer help but did, will most likely limit future help
from others. People don't post in these newsgroups to enhance their ego's, they do it to try and
help others. So instead of flamming those who try to give you help be a little more gracius or don't
expect any future help because no one likes to help a person that is going to go off on them for
trying to help.
--
Dave Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

"David Vair" <dvair@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
> Ben, sometimes people pick up things mid-thread and don't have all the
> information provided. Your attitiude toward Thagor, who didn't have
> to offer help but did, will most likely limit future help from others.
> People don't post in these newsgroups to enhance their ego's, they do
> it to try and help others. So instead of flamming those who try to
> give you help be a little more gracius or don't expect any future help
> because no one likes to help a person that is going to go off on them
> for trying to help.
> --
> Dave Vair
> CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+
> Computer Education Services Corp. (CESC)

You're right. I apologize to Thagor. It was late and I was irritable. In
hind site, I shouldn't have let it bother me like that and I shouldn't
have flamed him.

As far as the USB flash drive problem, I found that it works when I boot
to Linux so it's not a board problem. I know can access it via my
network to my 98SE system. I will reload XP when I have the time to back
it up properly and I would imagine that will fix the issue. In the mean
time, I have a work around. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions/help.

Ben

"Ben Hogland" <benhogland@hotmail.com> wrote in news:eACXLURLFHA.2420
@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

> "Thagor" <thagor@email.coma> wrote in message
>

>> If it works with a W2k system, then the XP system has a problem. More
>> than likely the VIA drivers are out of date. With the usb drive
>> inserted,
>> go to Windows Update and get it up to speed. If that doesn't get you
>> there, go and find the latest VIA 4 in 1 drivers and install them.
>
> It really amazes me regardless of time or place when people refuse to
> read the content of a message. No offense intended, but my system has
> the latest VIA drivers. It was fairly obvious when I stated "I have
> tried updating my BIOS and the drivers.".. I understand that some
people
> just can't read but it sure would make for less bandwidth if they
could.

> Sorry, to those that honestly want to help.
>
> Thagor. I'll give you a bit of advise since you took the time to give
me
> your version of advise. Learn to read the written word. I tire of
> dealing with huge EGOs who only want to hear themselves reverb their
> glorious word without regard to facts.
>
> Thanks..
>
> Ben

Sorry that didn't help. I thought for sure it would get you out of the
bind. I will try to control my ego in the future. :)

One thing you may want to try is to delete the USB stuff (the controllers and the hubs) from the
Device Manager and let Windows reinstall them for you. Maybe a system file got mangled and this may
refresh them for you.
--

> One thing you may want to try is to delete the USB stuff (the
> controllers and the hubs) from the Device Manager and let Windows
> reinstall them for you. Maybe a system file got mangled and this may
> refresh them for you.
> --
> Dave Vair
> CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+
> Computer Education Services Corp. (CESC)

Thanks for the suggestion, David. I tried that and it reloaded the USB
stuff but it still reported an "unknown Device" when I plugged in the
flash drive. I'm resolved now to reload XP. I've never had to reload XP
before. This install is over two years old and is the original install
from the factory. When I booted to Linux, it was from CD, not the HD.
Now the question is, when I re-install XP, will it remember my existing
programs/email/profile info? I'm not sure I want to try a fresh install
just yet if I can do a re-install over the top. I suppose the chances of
fixing the USB issue is remote if doing this way but I'd rather take it
incrementally if possible. Is there a way to reinstall windows XP over
the existing install without losing installed programs?

Thanks,

Ben

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 14:27:02 -0800, "Ben Hogland"
<benhogland@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"David Vair" <dvair@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
>> One thing you may want to try is to delete the USB stuff (the
>> controllers and the hubs) from the Device Manager and let Windows
>> reinstall them for you. Maybe a system file got mangled and this may
>> refresh them for you.
>> --
>> Dave Vair
>> CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+
>> Computer Education Services Corp. (CESC)
>
>Thanks for the suggestion, David. I tried that and it reloaded the USB
>stuff but it still reported an "unknown Device" when I plugged in the
>flash drive. I'm resolved now to reload XP. I've never had to reload XP
>before. This install is over two years old and is the original install
>from the factory. When I booted to Linux, it was from CD, not the HD.
>Now the question is, when I re-install XP, will it remember my existing
>programs/email/profile info? I'm not sure I want to try a fresh install
>just yet if I can do a re-install over the top. I suppose the chances of
>fixing the USB issue is remote if doing this way but I'd rather take it
>incrementally if possible. Is there a way to reinstall windows XP over
>the existing install without losing installed programs?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ben
Dpes it say 'data is invalid'? If so, try this;
This should fix it:
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Tips.htm#probleminst
Change entries that have 'read only' for USB to 'full permissions'
and reboot.
Be careful while editing the registry.

Depending on the type of CD provided you can do a Repair install and not lose programs and settings.
Follow the information here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

Some OEM CD's will not let you do a repair thats why I said first part, if this is your case you
will need to back up your data and perform a clean install.
--

> Depending on the type of CD provided you can do a Repair install and
> not lose programs and settings. Follow the information here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341
>
> Some OEM CD's will not let you do a repair thats why I said first
> part, if this is your case you will need to back up your data and
> perform a clean install.
> --
> Dave Vair
> CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+
> Computer Education Services Corp. (CESC)

David, I'll try reloading XP next weekend. Along with your post, the
info in the link you provided answers all of my questions regarding
reinstalling XP.

Thanks for your extremely knowledgeable replies.

Ben

Hi I had a problem with a crucial usb flash deive on my hp dv1004ap
laptop it would not run it would run ok in a powered hub.
To day 17 august I down loaded ( windows XP-KB899588-x86-ENU
security update Microsoft corporation and now the usb drive will work
fine in the laptop .
Iv no idea why , but if it helps anyone

http://tinyurl.com/7q8kd

Rob

--
Robert.uk

I do know that on VIA chipsets, you may need to have their USB filter
drivers installed.