USB flash drive /win ISO nightmare

oggmeista

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
Hi

Ok I want to make a bootable image ISO file of Windows 7 on my usb drive and I downloaded microsoft tool "windows 7 DVD download tool" in order to do the job, but the program fails to copy the image
I found out that this is because I need to remove the "MBR" data from the drive and the program doesn't do this task

So instructions were to open "command prompt" as administrator then

In the DOS window
Diskpart
list disk "X"
select disk "x"
clean disk "X""

However when I get to list disk the other HDD's show but my removeable flash drive does not, and therefore I cannot perform the clean command which means I cannot create my bootable win 7 ISO

How can I do this plz?

Update tried to use killdisk (took 10 hours) to hopefully delete the mbr and other stuff in the disk,
The drive still displays in my computer and also in disk management but only as "unallocated"... do I format this again?...I didn't think this was right as this would just create another MBR etc section on the disk.....!
It still will not show up in diskpart and the microsoft dvd usb windows 7 tool...is showing this message "The selected USB device E:\ (Removable Disk) is in use by another please close all applications and try again...

How can I sort this out plz ?

oggmeista

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008

Hi and thx for the replies..

I am trying to make a bootable devive of an ISO I have of windows 7...But I am not using windows 7 currently I am using win XP The bootable image is to be transferred to my desktop....why wont the usb drive show in diskpart "list disk"??

thx

USAFRet

Titan

Again, is this the ~3.5GB Windows installation ISO?
If so, the above mentioned pendrive, or Rufus should work no problem.

The bootable image is to be transferred to my desktop
What do you mean by this?

oggmeista

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
Sigh wt... I tried using the rufus utility tool but it stopped working for no reason task manager indicates "rufus has stopped responding" and it wont allow me to end/close it either every time I try to nothing happens, the drive has also disappeared from my co,puter and accessing disk management just hangs

EDIT: looks like it has finally closed but the drive still does not show in disk management..am i right in believing this utility has just destroyed my flash drive?

oggmeista

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
EDIT: it looks like it doesn't matter now???. flash drive has died??.. but "tranferred to my desktop" I mean II wanted to use the image to install windows 7 to a desktop not the laptop which I am currently working with....

oggmeista

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
EDIT: Ok it hasn't died looks like the program undesigated the ID letter re-assgned it in disk management

tried to make an ISO image again, but this time was given this message by rufus "undtermined error" either just after it finished formatting or whilst finishing the format...I am going to check for errors...

oggmeista

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
disk checking is going to take 10 hrs (approx)

The ISO file is 3.09 gb in size

Does anyone have any suggestions that will likely work, so far nothing has...I am prob going to give up and try and create a bootable image from a DVD instead, but would really like to know why it wont work with the USB flash drive, because franky i am stumped...???

TRENDING THREADS