usb flash pen incorrectly recognise

usb memory flash pen was working fine until the system crashed when
using the pen.

Now when plugged in windows 2000 identifies it as a security device
and looks for software for this instead of locating correct driver by
plug & play. The same happens on any pc that I try it on. Any
clues? Many thanks

==============

"numberonepipboy" <runawayparrot@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message news:40f631ea_4@news.athenanews.com...
> usb memory flash pen was working fine until the system crashed when
> using the pen.
>
> Now when plugged in windows 2000 identifies it as a security device
> and looks for software for this instead of locating correct driver by
> plug & play. The same happens on any pc that I try it on. Any
> clues? Many thanks
>
> ==============

Not what you want to hear I'm afraid, but it sounds like the drive is dead
:-(

My pen drive stopped working after a couple of months, when inserting it in
a system it would install itself as some strange device - twice! usually in
gobbledegook characters to make it more fun. Tried on three different
systems all with the same result. Returned it to the shop who replaced it.

Adam S

numberonepipboy wrote:
> usb memory flash pen was working fine until the system crashed when
> using the pen.
>
> Now when plugged in windows 2000 identifies it as a security device
> and looks for software for this instead of locating correct driver by
> plug & play. The same happens on any pc that I try it on. Any
> clues? Many thanks
>
> ==============
> Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.
Time to do a FORMAT!
Yes, USB sticks can lose their format.
http://www.livejournal.com/users/filex/655.html
http://weblogs.asp.net/oldnewthing/archive/2004/04/05/108205.aspx

This is how to format one in GNU/Linux, as I use Knoppix installed into
all of mey systems as Debian Linux.

Everything is faster, burns CDs, and DVDs lots faster than in Microsoft
XP, too! All the precious time I used to devote to patches,
anti-virus, updates, spyware, on XP is now spent in total productivity,
in GNU/Linux! http://knopper.net/knoppix

Here are over 90+ distros of Knoppix! Even make up your own!
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixCustomizations