USB Floppys--Better or Worse?

blacktails1985

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
Are USB floppy drives just normal floppy drives that have been created with an interface for USB?

Or did some actual re-engineering go into them so they wouldn't fail so often?

Only reason I'm asking is I need one to flash my BIOS for a microcode update.

I doubt floppy disks have changed in their poor quality and notorious unreliability either.

Just so you all know, I tried doing it with a flash drive, but it wouldn't work.

So I've had to resort to this.

RealBeast

Titan
No re-engineering, just the old floppy drive with a USB interface that uses the same media. I would test the drive and media first, but the most likely cause of issues when flashing the bios is still power loss.

What motherboard and why can't you just unzip the bios on the root of the C drive?

blacktails1985

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013

It's a Compaq DC7100 SFF, so whatever board it has in it.

I installed a faster processor which the BIOS doesn't support, but which I've read on many forums a BIOS update will fix. I get an 1801 Microcode error when the system starts, but it seems to run okay. Also, right-clicking on my computer for the properties, the CPu type now doesn't show, but I simply thought after the BIOs update that it would.

I lack the medium to use a CD, and I've tried various programs that say they put images onto flash for booting. but when I boot up and do what they say by hitting F9 and selecting USB, it won't do what it's supposed to.

When the file is downloaded from HP and installed, it wants to write a .IMG to a floppy and i don't have one.

With the USB, I get an Operating system missing error.