Question USB Hard Drive detected as "Other device" and not as a storage device

Jan 28, 2022
I have a WD My Passport USB hard drive which I am trying to access so that i can format it. However its not registered as an external storage device when I connect it to my windows 10 pc.

I have checked device manager and it shows under "other devices" and is named "WD SES Device USB Device". I cant access it, I cant find any drivers for it.

I'm not worried about the data on it, I just want to format it so that I can use it for other things.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can get it to register correctly within Windows?

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Have you tried any other USB port? Any other computer?

Probably it is the controller/converter from USB to SATA, so you can open the case and try connecting the HD directly to SATA port if you have a desktop.

Jan 28, 2022

Probably it is the controller/converter from USB to SATA, so you can open the case and try connecting the HD directly to SATA port if you have a desktop.

Thanks for the reply, I have tried this on multiple computers and multiple USB Ports. I hadn't thought of the converter to SATA so I will try that now and update on results.

Jan 28, 2022

Ok so I'm afraid opening the case is not going to be a solution. The My Passport Ultra has the USB converter fitted directly to the drive, its not a standard 2.5" hard drive with a SATA to USB converter.