Hi,

First off - I don't know if this is the right NG to post to, or whether only
Microsoft products are recommended here, but I've always found the MVP
groups really helpful, so hopefully someone can help me with my query.

I'm looking to get a USB Hard Drive. I'm not very computer literate, so I'm
not looking to buy anything I'd have to assemble myself (if it means I can
get it cheaper) - just a hard drive I can plug into my USB port at the back
of my PC.

I'd be using it primarily for back-up, though I've got a 20GB harddrive as
it is and with a growing music collection, I'd be also looking to store some
MP3s there too. I'm not too fussed about back-up software - all I'd need to
back up would be the contents of My Documents and perhaps a couple of
zip-files for programs (to save me downloading them again). The way I've
described it suggests to me I'd hopefully be able to drag and drop between
the two drives.

Can anyone recommend a good place to go to? I'd be looking at about 30-40 GB
of storage, as this would sort me out for years to come. If anyone knows
whether dragging and dropping between drives is possible with a USB
harddrive and can confirm that or inform me otherwise, that'd be great too.

Many thanks in advance!

bar

Hi Tom

The item that you seek is actually one of two parts.
The first part is an external case, with Power Supply, Cooling Fan and Plug for IDE Device Interface and Power Interface.
The second part is any brand of HDD you wish, such as to be installed into this case.

The external case can come with USB 2 / USB 1 support and Firewire Support - Maximum Flexibility.

The hard disk to buy really wont make too much difference as most brands offer long warranties.

Don't forget one thing: external cases do not power down with the PC and will need to be powered on / off manually.

You may be better placed, simply to buy the HDD and install it into your PC case [ if there is an available slot] . Of course this last advice is irrelevant if you have a Laptop!