USB Headset w/DAC - would rather use MB integrated sound

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018
So I have the HyperX headset with mic. It has one ouput line from the headset itself, with a single 3.5 male at the end. This end is supposed to plug into the little DAC unit, which then plugs in to USB on computer.

I had been using just the headset with a 3.5 extender cable...I just plugged it right into the green output from the MB, didn't use the DAC at all and worked fine. I could use all the features of the motherboard integrated sound for equalizing, effects, using the software for the board (ASUS ROG sound control panel).

BUT now I need to use the microphone, and here's where I feel stupid. So I CAN use the little DAC/USB, but that completely bypasses my integrated motherboard sound chip, and the software controls for equalizer etc no longer work...I guess the signal is being processed elsewhere.

So, is there any way to "split" the signal that comes from the headset itself (sound and mic)? Like if I plug that into a splitter, then plug into motherboard mic/line in, will that work? I mean how would it know which signal to send down which cable? I don't know why I'm stupid about this, been building PC's for 15 years, but these little headphone with integrated DAC have just confused me.